Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Lightbulb Google's 10^100 contest.
Posted 2008-09-24, 10:19 AM
I stumbled upon this article today, and figured it could be a cool little contest we could possibly experiment with together? Just an idea.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/biztech...ect/index.html
Got an idea to help the world? Here's $10 million

Quote:
Story Highlights
Google Inc. will award $10 million to fund ideas that promise to better the world

Called Project 10^100, Google's initiative will seek ideas from the public

People are encouraged to submit their ideas online through October 20

After online voting, a panel of judges will announce up to five winners in 2009

Quote:
CNN) -- Got an idea that could change the world, or at least help a lot of people? Google wants to hear from you -- and they'll pay as much as $10 million to make your idea a reality.

Google Inc. will award $10 million to solicit ideas it believes could benefit the world.

To help celebrate its 10th birthday, the ambitious Internet giant is launching an initiative to solicit, and bankroll, fresh ideas it believes could have broad and beneficial impact on people's lives.

Called Project 10^100 (pronounced "10 to the 100th"), Google's initiative will seek input from the public and a panel of judges in choosing up to five winning ideas, to be announced in February.

Google announced the project live on CNN on Wednesday morning.

"These ideas can be big or small, technology-driven or brilliantly simple -- but they need to have impact," said Google in a press release. "We know there are countless brilliant ideas that need funding and support to come to fruition."

Ideas such as the Hippo Water Roller, which Google cited as the kind of concept the company would be interested in rewarding. Developed in Africa, where it is most used, the Hippo Water Roller is a barrel-shaped container, attached to a handle, that holds 24 gallons of water and can be rolled with little effort, like a wheelbarrow, making it easier for villagers on foot to transport critically needed fresh water to their homes.

Don't Miss
Google turns 10, raises monopoly concerns
Impact Your World
See how you can make a difference
People are encouraged to submit their ideas, in any of 25 languages, on http://www.project10tothe100.com/index.html through October 20. Entrants must briefly describe their idea and answer six questions, including, "If your idea were to become a reality, who would benefit the most and how?"

Google employees, with the help of an advisory board, will narrow the submissions to 100 semifinalists by January 27. Between January 27 and February 2, the public will vote online for their favorite ideas. A panel of as-yet-unnamed judges will then review the top 20 ideas and announce up to five winners in mid-February.

Funding, from a pool of $10 million, will be awarded in May. If the judges decide to reward five winning ideas, each will receive $2 million. If only two ideas are chosen, each will receive $5 million, and so on.

A Google spokeswoman was reluctant to set parameters for the submissions, although the project's Web site suggests that successful ideas should address such issues as providing food and shelter, building communities, improving health, granting more access to education, sustaining the global ecosystem and promoting clean energy.

"We don't want to limit it at all. We want a wide range of ideas," said Bethany Poole, product marketing manager at Google, who announced the project live Wednesday morning on CNN along with Andy Berndt, managing director of Google's Creative Lab. "We think great ideas come from anywhere."

To cite Google's own example, Google News began after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, when an engineer became frustrated that he couldn't aggregate news sources from around the world in one place.

By opening the project to anyone -- not just laboratories or universities -- Google is embracing "crowdsourcing," the Internet-age notion that the collective wisdom of mass audiences can be leveraged to find solutions to design tasks.

Project 10^100 is not unlike the Google-sponsored Lunar X PRIZE, a $30 million international competition to safely land a robot on the surface of the moon, travel 500 meters over the lunar surface, and send images and data back to Earth. The first team to land on the moon and complete the mission objectives will be awarded $20 million. At least 16 teams are competing.

Those who submit winning Project 10^100 ideas will not be required to have the technical expertise to implement them, Poole said. Google has not yet determined how winning projects will be sustained financially after the initial prize money runs out, she said.

People may submit more than one idea. Through its online submissions, Google also hopes to connect people with good ideas to charitable organizations who could help implement them, Poole said.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-09-24, 11:05 AM in reply to D3V's post "Google's 10^100 contest."
So what's your idea?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-09-24, 11:05 AM in reply to D3V's post "Google's 10^100 contest."
My idea is to easy, and no one would go for it.. however it would change the entire world. Here it is..

Every religeon, organization, belief, love, and or hate... Grats shut up and keep it to yourselves.
You have WMD's? Grats, loss them or your country goes away.
Black people, shut up... slavery is over.
White people, shut up... mexicans arent stealing your jobs.
Mexican people, callete... dont think of demanding rights untill you follow the rules.
Rich people, you now can only make 100,000 a year... any more goes to charity.
Poor people, stFu about being poor and how your foodstamps arent comming in, go make some money.

Basically, stfu and mind your own business. Don't flaunt your money, job, clothes, or friends infront of anyone. Learn to FKN get along. Help your fellow man out when he is down.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-24, 11:09 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "So what's your idea?"
Thanatos said: [Goto]
So what's your idea?
Converting all modes of transportation that use gasoline into hybrid vehicles.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-09-24, 01:06 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Converting all modes of transportation..."
Smug Alert!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-09-24, 01:33 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Converting all modes of transportation..."
Think about it. Airplanes, commerical and not. They all use large quantities of fuel to travel back and forth across the United States, and around the world. How come we haven't seen any planes with solar panels? Would it be pheaseable to obtain a charge moving as fast as they do? I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. Hell, they could start off small and use the solar panels to power the inside lights, markers, equipment up front, etc. Basic electrical components, and eventually conver the turbines to where they can spool off of electricity and regenerate electricity with a backward self-charging capacitor (like an alternator). This theory would make it so that it would only need fuel to start the engine, and after the plane is in flight it can convert to electricity powered by the sun. Brilliant IMO.

All vehicles should be moving towards energy independence.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-09-24, 01:44 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Think about it. Airplanes, commerical..."
Eventually most, if not all, surfaces will be covered with photo voltaic materials. They're just too expensive and inefficient right now. But we're getting close to being able to stamp them out like stickers .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-09-24, 01:58 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Think about it. Airplanes, commerical..."
That is why they are taxing us an additional $15.00 per bag... fuel isn't cheap.

Any easy to come by theory, "no gasoline vehicles", "stop world hunger", or "world peace". Are like, all old news to them I bet. They have tried any logically attempt. They need something more, some sort of invention that no one has thought to create. Something so amazingly creative that it merits 10M.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-24, 04:09 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "That is why they are taxing us an..."
I've always wanted to build a perpetual motion device. I used to have a bunch of sketches that used different sized magnets to continually rotate this wheel that would in-turn rotate a simple power generator.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-09-29, 04:32 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "That is why they are taxing us an..."
Kazilla said: [Goto]
That is why they are taxing us an additional $15.00 per bag... fuel isn't cheap.

Any easy to come by theory, "no gasoline vehicles", "stop world hunger", or "world peace". Are like, all old news to them I bet. They have tried any logically attempt. They need something more, some sort of invention that no one has thought to create. Something so amazingly creative that it merits 10M.
Well, why don't you throw out an idea. What is one thing that you could see changing the world?

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-10-22, 12:31 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Well, why don't you throw out an idea...."
Well the deadline is already up. I'll be sure and try to post any more information once I find out about it.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V