Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Mage talents and profession?
Posted 2005-03-02, 01:49 PM
So for those that know, I'm working on a mage. What talents should I go with, and what professions?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-03-02, 03:03 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Mage talents and profession?"
Talents depends on your playstyle, really. In any case, you want enough in Arcane for Evocation at MINIMUM.

Professions is up for debate as well. If you want to make a lot of money, take Mining + Enchanting. Sell the Bars you make, and sell Enchanting supplies on auction.

The only thing our guild actually LACKS is blacksmiths.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2005-03-02, 03:05 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Talents depends on your playstyle,..."
Vollstrecker said:
Talents depends on your playstyle, really. In any case, you want enough in Arcane for Evocation at MINIMUM.

Professions is up for debate as well. If you want to make a lot of money, take Mining + Enchanting. Sell the Bars you make, and sell Enchanting supplies on auction.

The only thing our guild actually LACKS is blacksmiths.
Well, I want lots of money of course, and I'd like my mage to be a PvP mage -- somewhat balanced between 1v1 and group PvP.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-03-02, 03:08 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Well, I want lots of money of course,..."
A lot of Mages seem to go with Fire/Arcane for frontloading a lot of damage.

To be honest, I rarely see any Frost Mages.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2005-03-02, 03:17 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "A lot of Mages seem to go with..."
Vollstrecker said:
A lot of Mages seem to go with Fire/Arcane for frontloading a lot of damage.

To be honest, I rarely see any Frost Mages.
Any specific talents you'd suggest. I'm pretty new I guess, and I don't want to fuck up my mage.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-03-02, 04:50 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Any specific talents you'd suggest. I'm..."
My build at 60:

Arcane Talents (21 points)

<li>Improved Arcane Missiles - 5/5 points
Gives you a 100% chance to avoid interruption caused by damage while channeling Arcane Missiles.

<li>Arcane Concentration - 5/5 points
Gives you a 10% chance of entering a Clearcasting state after any damage spell hits a target. The Clearcasting state reduces the mana cost of your next damage spell by 100%.

<li>Evocation - 1/1 point
While channeling this spell, your mana regeneration is active and increased by 1500%. Lasts 8 seconds.

<li>Improved Arcane Explosion - 5/5 points
Reduces the casting time of your Arcane Explosion by 1.5 seconds.

<li>Arcane Meditation - 2/5 points
Allows 6% of your Mana regeneration to continue while casting.

<li>Improved Counterspell - 2/2 points
Gives your Counterspell a 100% chance to silence the target for 4 seconds.

<li>Presence of Mind - 1/1 point
When activated, your next Mage spell with a casting time less than 10 seconds becomes an instant cast spell.

Frost Talents (0 points)

None

Fire Talents (30 points)

<li>Improved Fireball - 5/5 points
Reduces the casting time of your Fireball by 0.5 seconds.

<li>Impact - 5/5 points
Gives your fire spells a 10% chance to stun the taget for 2 seconds.

<li>Ignite - 5/5 points
Your critical strikes from fire damage spells cause the target to burn for an additional 40% of your spell's damage over 4 seconds.

<li>Incinerate - 2/2 points
Increases the critical strike chance of your Fire Blast and Scorch spells by 4%.

<li>Pyroblast - 1/1 point
Hurls an immense fiery boulder that causes 148 to 195 fire damage and an additional 56 damage over 12 seconds.

<li>Improved Flamestrike - 3/3 points
Increases the critical strike chance of your Flamestrike spell by 15%.

<li>Blast Wave - 1/1 point
A wave of flame radiates outward from the caster, damaging all enemies caught within the blast for 160 to 192 fire damage, and dazing them for 6 seconds.

<li>Critical Mass - 3/3 points
Increases the critical strike chance of your fire spells by 6%.

<li>Fire Power - 5/5 points
Increases the damage done by your fire spells by 10%.

If you want to go for combustion rather than Presence of Mind, that's a personal choice though I found the free instant cast better than a guaranteed critical.

Arcane major, Fire minor build:

Arcane Talents (31 points)

Gives you a 100% chance to avoid interruption caused by damage while channeling Arcane Missiles.

Gives you a 10% chance of entering a Clearcasting state after any damage spell hits a target. The Clearcasting state reduces the mana cost of your next damage spell by 100%.

While channeling this spell, your mana regeneration is active and increased by 1500%. Lasts 8 seconds.

<li>Arcane Meditation - 4/5 points
Allows 12% of your Mana regeneration to continue while casting.

When activated, your next Mage spell with a casting time less than 10 seconds becomes an instant cast spell.

<li>Arcane Mind - 4/4 points
Increases your maximum Mana by 8%.

<li>Arcane Instability - 3/3 points
Increases your spell damage and critical strike chance by 3%.

<li>Arcane Power - 1/1 point
When activated, your spells deal 35% more damage while costing 35% more mana to cast. This effect lasts 15 seconds.

Frost Talents (0 points)

None

Fire Talents (20 points)

<li>Improved Fireball - 5/5 points
Reduces the casting time of your Fireball by 0.5 seconds.

<li>Impact - 5/5 points
Gives your fire spells a 10% chance to stun the taget for 2 seconds.

<li>Ignite - 5/5 points
Your critical strikes from fire damage spells cause the target to burn for an additional 40% of your spell's damage over 4 seconds.

<li>Flame Throwing - 2/2 points
Increases the range of your fire spells by 6 yards.

<li>Pyroblast - 1/1 point
Hurls an immense fiery boulder that causes 148 to 195 fire damage and an additional 56 damage over 12 seconds.

<li>Incinerate - 2/2 points
Increases the critical strike chance of your Fire Blast and Scorch spells by 4%.

Frost major, Arcane minor build:

Arcane Talents (11 points)

Frost Talents (40 points)

<li>Improved Frostbolt - 5/5 points
Reduces the casting time of your Frostbolt spell by 0.5 seconds.

<li>Ice Shards - 5/5 points
Increases the critical strike damage bonus of your Frost spells by 100%.

<li>Winter's Chill - 3/3 points
Increases the power of your chill effects by slowing the target's movement by an additional 10%.

<li>Improved Frost Nova - 2/2 points
Reduces the cooldown of your Frost Nova spell by 4 seconds.

<li>Cold Snap - 1/1 point
When activated, this spell finishes the cooldown on all of your cold spells.

<li>Piercing Ice - 3/3 points
Increases the damage done by your frost spells by 6%.

<li>Improved Blizzard - 3/3 points
Adds a chill effect to your Blizzard spell. This effect lowers the target's movement speed to 35% of normal. Lasts 8.50 seconds.

<li>Frost Channeling - 3/3 points
Reduces the mana cost of your frost spells by 15%.

<li>Shatter - 5/5 points
Increases the critical strike chance of your frost spells against frozen targets by 50%.

<li>Ice Block - 1/1 point
You become encased in a block of ice, protecting you from all physical attacks and spells for 10 seconds, but during that time you cannot attack, move, or cast spells.

<li>Improved Cone of Cold - 3/3 points
Increases the damage dealt by your Cone of Cold spell by 35%.

<li>Frostbite - 5/5 points
Gives your chill effects a 15% chance to freeze the target for 5 seconds.

<li>Ice Barrier - 1/1 point
Instantly shields you, absorbing 455 damage. Lasts 1 minute. While the shield holds, spells will not be interrupted.

Arcane major, frost minor build:

Arcane Talents (31 points)

<li>Arcane Meditation - 4/5 points
Allows 12% of your Mana regeneration to continue while casting.

<li>Arcane Mind - 4/4 points
Increases your maximum Mana by 8%.

<li>Arcane Instability - 3/3 points
Increases your spell damage and critical strike chance by 3%.

<li>Arcane Power - 1/1 point
When activated, your spells deal 35% more damage while costing 35% more mana to cast. This effect lasts 15 seconds.

Frost Talents (20 points)

<li>Improved Frostbolt - 5/5 points
Reduces the casting time of your Frostbolt spell by 0.5 seconds.

<li>Ice Shards - 5/5 points
Increases the critical strike damage bonus of your Frost spells by 100%.

<li>Improved Frost Nova - 2/2 points
Reduces the cooldown of your Frost Nova spell by 4 seconds.

<li>Piercing Ice - 3/3 points
Increases the damage done by your frost spells by 6%.

<li>Shatter - 5/5 points
Increases the critical strike chance of your frost spells against frozen targets by 50%.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Slim shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeSlim shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Slim

Posted 2005-03-02, 05:37 PM in reply to Slim's post starting "My build at 60: Arcane Talents (21..."
Slim, is your mage pretty good PvP?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-03-02, 06:15 PM in reply to Slim's post starting "My build at 60: Arcane Talents (21..."
At least untill they do something to fix spirit for mages, arcane meditation is a joke.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-03-02, 09:45 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "At least untill they do something to..."
It's filler.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Slim shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeSlim shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Slim

Posted 2005-03-02, 09:45 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Slim, is your mage pretty good PvP?"
I fair well in PvP, had no problem so far except for a rogue when they get the jump....but most mages have that problem.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Slim

Posted 2005-03-02, 11:59 PM in reply to Slim's post starting "I fair well in PvP, had no problem so..."
Lucky for you, MJ, is that you don't have to face Shamans in anything other than a duel.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2005-03-03, 08:13 AM in reply to Slim's post starting "I fair well in PvP, had no problem so..."
What I hate is when I get stunned while still mounted. As a frost mage, normally I could blink or ice block and get away, but instead, they get lots of free time to get me down to half health before I can even get off my mount.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-03-03, 02:26 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "What I hate is when I get stunned while..."
I have more problems getting stunned when I'm sitting down for a drink.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Slim

Posted 2005-03-03, 03:11 PM in reply to Slim's post starting "I have more problems getting stunned..."
Stop stuffing your face with liquor then, lightweight.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-03-04, 06:09 AM in reply to Slim's post starting "I have more problems getting stunned..."
When you get attacked while sitting, you automatically stand up and then could blink, but when you get stunned while mounted, you just stand on your mount (and are still flagged mounted) and are unable to do anything at all.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2005-03-04, 04:44 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "When you get attacked while sitting,..."
Uh...no? Last time I got stunned while sitting I stayed sitting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Slim