Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Posted 2003-10-10, 06:04 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
According to the RGB scale, yellow is the exact opposite of blue. In CMYK (Print color), black is the exact opposite of blue. In Lab color, "Xbox green" is the exact opposite of Blue.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2003-10-10, 06:24 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"

As you can see from the image, blue and orange are across from each other, meaning they go best together, same with red/green(christmas) and purple and yellow(easter?)

Simple kindergarten stuff.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-10-10, 06:41 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
!King_Amazon! said:
As you can see from the image, blue and orange are across from each other, meaning they go best together, same with red/green(christmas) and purple and yellow(easter?)
Since when do opposite colors "go best together"?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2003-10-10, 06:47 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
That's what I learned in art class.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-10-10, 08:43 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
Corrected your image for you.

Your printer uses magenta, yellow, and cyan ink to make all the colors of the rainbow, not red, yellow, and blue which these colors appear to be similar to. Magenta, yellow, and cyan are the primaries of paint and are the opposites of green, blue, and red which are the primaries of light. This is because pigments work by absorbing color, so by absorbing red light, cyan pigment leaves a cyan reflection. This is basic physics. Why they lie to you in elementry school, I have no clue.

For the questions:
There is no need for title. The original purpose for the title in vB was to display staff status. Since we use the staff icons to do this, there is no need for the title field. There is plenty of room in your signature and avatar for personalization.

The join date has been converted to longevity, which will show the percentage of the board's existance that the use has been a member. The actual join date will be displayed in a tooltip on mouseover.

vB3 is threaded board software. All replies are made to specific posts. The reply button does quote, but there is no reply to thread button as it exists now, you reply to a post. You can choose a thread view that lists all the posts as what is replying to what. This is also why each post has a quick reply button, and what the link next to the post title is about (click the link to see the post that was replied to). The post padders should like this as it gives them an excuse to double post if they have something to say to two different posts. Chruser wanted to try this, so we will be using threaded mode on a trial basis; if we decide we don't like it, we will convert the board back to linear mode, and reply will change back to quote, etc.

Online is whether the user is online, recent is whether or not you have read the thread since the post was posted.

The Today indicator is the stars that currently only you can see above your activity. If you enable invisible mode, the visit block will not be lit for other users untill your first post for the day. (If you posted, you've obviously visited. Curious users could just search to see if you've posted anyway.)

The icons at the bottom of the panel are fixed, but they will not all always be there. Guest posts (if we ever allow them) will have none of them. Member posts will always have the buddy and ignore icons, and will have the e-mail icon only if the user has set to allow e-mail through the board system (the e-mailer does not get your address unless you directly reply to them--you can use the forum to reply to retain annoymetiy) (I recommend against enabling this option if you're on the forum all the time, as we will be locking the PM system on with popup notification (note that if you ignore a person you will stop getting their PMs) so for most purposes, it will be sufficient). The IM program icons will only appear if you have entered your ID for these programs.

Last edited by WetWired; 2003-10-10 at 09:03 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2003-10-10, 08:55 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
Chruser said:
!King_Amazon! said:
Since when do opposite colors "go best together"?
Complementary colors go very well together, to give contrast.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2003-10-10, 09:25 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
Adrenachrome said:
I would like to see a more rich red than that. All the tones in it, more rich.
How's K?

Also, we can only do a limited number because frankly, I will end up cutting and color optimizing each image used in the postbit (70+) separately, and I can only stand to do this so many times.

Last edited by WetWired; 2003-10-13 at 09:58 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2003-10-10, 10:09 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
Randuin said:
I thought I asked about when opposite colors look good together? Having a high contrast doesn't always make the image look good, it's all a matter of taste.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2003-10-10, 11:47 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
WetWired said:
For the questions:
There is no need for title. The original purpose for the title in vB was to display staff status. Since we use the staff icons to do this, there is no need for the title field. There is plenty of room in your signature and avatar for personalization.
Does this mean that the sig size has been increased? If so, to what size?

WW said:
vB3 is threaded board software. All replies are made to specific posts. The reply button does quote, but there is no reply to thread button as it exists now, you reply to a post. You can choose a thread view that lists all the posts as what is replying to what. This is also why each post has a quick reply button, and what the link next to the post title is about (click the link to see the post that was replied to). The post padders should like this as it gives them an excuse to double post if they have something to say to two different posts. Chruser wanted to try this, so we will be using threaded mode on a trial basis; if we decide we don't like it, we will convert the board back to linear mode, and reply will change back to quote, etc.
We can still use the "quote" tags though, right?

WW said:
Online is whether the user is online, recent is whether or not you have read the thread since the post was posted.
I don't really understand what the point is of knowing whether or not you've read a particular thread since the last post or not is anyway...? I'd like to think that most people use the "View New Posts" button anyway, hence eliminating the problem of whether or not you are up-to-date with the thread in question. Is there a way to make it so that you can individually mark a post as read? Meaning, if I am going through 4 pages of unread posts, and reply at the end, I'd rather not have to fish through all those other posts again if someone replies to my post before I get to "Mark All Threads as Read".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-10-10, 11:53 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
Btw, WW. I would love a 10 or 20 pixel height increase for sig size. 120ish makes some of my GIFs look crappy :O
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2003-10-10, 12:02 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
there should be a little more room allowed for avatars if you ask me -_-
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2003-10-10, 12:08 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
sigs ant avatars are fine i dont think u should change the sizing
i must not fear. fear is the mind killer. i will face my fears and when they are gone only i will remain.
Clan Laomainn.
Ne Parcas Nec Spernas.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
haplo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhaplo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

haplo

Posted 2003-10-10, 12:13 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
Well, if the Title aspect is getting dropped, I think one or the other should be bigger, to enable more "personalization", as Adrena puts it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-10-10, 12:46 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
I think they should just not fondle the title...

The title is very important.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-10-10, 12:55 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
Titusfied said:
Does this mean that the sig size has been increased? If so, to what size?
Don't know yet.

Titusfied said:
We can still use the "quote" tags though, right?
Yes.

Titusfied said:
I don't really understand what the point is of knowing whether or not you've read a particular thread since the last post or not is anyway...? I'd like to think that most people use the "View New Posts" button anyway, hence eliminating the problem of whether or not you are up-to-date with the thread in question. Is there a way to make it so that you can individually mark a post as read? Meaning, if I am going through 4 pages of unread posts, and reply at the end, I'd rather not have to fish through all those other posts again if someone replies to my post before I get to "Mark All Threads as Read".
No, no it is a feature that we already have, but which we accidentally left out on Synthesis. Also, this may become more important with the way threaded mode works. At least in linear view, it's nice because sometimes threads with large images tend to shift as they load, so the new post that was positioned with a #postnnnn suffix is quickly lost. This way you can quickly tell where the new posts start. Fortunately, this is less of a problem on Zelaron than other forums, since we have fixed sig sizes so sigs take up a fixed amount of space whether or not the image loads...

Quote:
The title is very important.
Okay, KA, we'll make the rank area the title, and remove users' ability to change it. Saves me some work, actually. There, you have your precious title.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2003-10-10, 05:27 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
Chruser said:
Randuin said:
I thought I asked about when opposite colors look good together? Having a high contrast doesn't always make the image look good, it's all a matter of taste.
Complementary is to accentuate the object, orange buttons will go very well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2003-10-10, 05:51 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
I want a custom title and that's my final offer.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-10-13, 09:57 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Synthesis 2.0 colors"
Quote:
I want a custom title and that's my final offer.
We'll put a tooltip on the avatar. That's my final offer.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired