Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you Believe?
Yes 51 52.04%
No 32 32.65%
I Dont Know What to Think 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Posted 2003-02-18, 09:45 AM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
Jizmo said:
It's their lives, they choose what to do with them.
BAM exactly.. My whole point is, it should be every person deciding for themselves. Yet when i state that view, I am going to hell. The fact is no one here knows what I believe, yet they all seem to think they do.

InvaderJon said:
My biology teacher tells me that the brain is in my head, by your logic, i shouldnt believe that until, oh say, ive cracked my head open and seen it for myself?

Ummm.. nope.. all I need is a cat scan to make sure I have a brain. And it's a proven fact that all humans have brains. It's not a proven fact that there is a "god". I wanna know how do YOU know your religion is the right choice? You can only believe it is. No one truly knows until life is over. And if "god" wants to punish me for thinking for myself, so be it. Eternity in heaven "praising god" doesn't sound very good to me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2003-02-18, 03:11 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
InvaderJon said:

My biology teacher tells me that the brain is in my head, by your logic, i shouldnt believe that until, oh say, ive cracked my head open and seen it for myself?
Yea...but that is different. The brain has been proven to be in the head of a human.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-02-18, 03:14 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
Medieval Bob said:
RoboticSilence said:
You'd think that if there were a God, this all-seeing, all-knowing whatever, he'd speak to everyone and not just to people he knows are just going to end up getting crucified, impaled, or burned... seems like a waste. I don't believe in God and I'm only a Christian when it's "convenient."
Jesus did go around and let everyone he could know of his presence. Those who chose not to believe him condemned themselves.

Also, on the "today" end of the spectrum, I've heard a theory that I like. God doesn't speak to people today as he did back in "Biblical times." At least, we don't think he does. According to theory, this is because today there are so many adamant non-believers, that either God simply chooses not to say anything, or he knows that if he were to do anything short of uh.. say.. blowing up the sun and most of the planets in our SS, people still wouldn't believe it was an act of God. Or, God may be talking to people.

If this were true, it can be easilly explained that none of us know about it. Those who refuse to talk about it are numerous. Either they choose to keep it to themselves as something personal (a good example of this would be this thread. many people bash others for their beliefs) or they might disregard it as a strange occurance or a hallucination. Those who speak out... would, in today's society, generally be considered insane.

It's a sad world we live in today.
well...i think if god openly spoke to everybody a lot more people would believe that he is real. 6 billion people hearing the same thing is most probably not a hallucination. God would just prove himself by speaking to us causing 99% of ppl to believe in him...why he doesn't just do this if he is real is beyond my logic.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-02-18, 03:21 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
What a tard. *directed at grav*
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-02-18, 03:43 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
khwiii said:
Jizmo said:
It's their lives, they choose what to do with them.
BAM exactly.. My whole point is, it should be every person deciding for themselves.
That's fine, believe in what you want to believe in.

Quote:
The fact is no one here knows what I believe, yet they all seem to think they do.
Then why don't you tell us?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2003-02-18, 04:26 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
Jizmo said:
Ok sure no problem.

The fact is, most organized religion is full of hypocrites, liars, and mindless sheep. Who is to say which religion is right? Ever notice how Catholics and Baptists really don't get along, even though they "worship the same god"? And why is it Christian's don't believe Mormon's are going to heaven? EVEN though they believe Christ is their savior?

My thoughts are exactly this, I believe that there is a higher "conscience" out there. Whether it be the life force of the people of this world who have past before us... Or even a "god" , that I have not decided. I think this world is meant for everyone to take and interpret the things that surround them, and not to follow what someone has put before them. If not, then why isn't the bible clear cut? Why are there so many different denominations of just say the Christian belief? This isn't even touching on Judaism, Buddhism, or thus and such.

Funny though. I have never had anyone tell me I was pushing my beliefs before, without me saying what my beliefs were.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2003-02-18, 04:33 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
Medieval Bob said:
What a tard. *directed at grav*
because i'm completely right and you can't come to terms with your brainwashing?

yes.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2003-02-18, 07:50 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
You're still a tard.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-02-18, 08:26 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
NICE ONE! :up:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2003-02-19, 05:51 AM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
Thank you. I have been waiting so long for your approval so my life could be complete. I have achieved nirvana.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-02-19, 09:13 AM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
NICE ONE! :up:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2003-02-19, 03:11 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
Thank you. I have been waiting so long for your approval so my life could be complete. I have achieved nirvana.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-02-20, 10:41 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
khwiii said:

InvaderJon said:

Ummm.. nope.. all I need is a cat scan to make sure I have a brain. And it's a proven fact that all humans have brains. It's not a proven fact that there is a "god". I wanna know how do YOU know your religion is the right choice? You can only believe it is. No one truly knows until life is over. And if "god" wants to punish me for thinking for myself, so be it. Eternity in heaven "praising god" doesn't sound very good to me.
you were saying that you shouldnt believe things just because someone tells you to. Why do you believe everyone has a brain?Do you only have a brain when you see it on a catscan? have you done a catscan on every human being? i doubt it. you think it because something told you, whether it be a person, textbook, or maybe, common sense. BTW, im not saying we dont have brains, im just pointing out the fault in thats logic.

thats what i was saying, thats its not a proven fact. but its not a proven fact that there is no god. You are just repeating to me what i just said lol. I said that no one knows until life is over. When it comes to the existence of god (or non-existence) all there is is belief.

an eternity of praising god? you make it quite obvious you havent studied any theology.

khwiii said:
Jizmo said:
Ok sure no problem.

The fact is, most organized religion is full of hypocrites, liars, and mindless sheep. Who is to say which religion is right? Ever notice how Catholics and Baptists really don't get along, even though they "worship the same god"? And why is it Christian's don't believe Mormon's are going to heaven? EVEN though they believe Christ is their savior?

My thoughts are exactly this, I believe that there is a higher "conscience" out there. Whether it be the life force of the people of this world who have past before us... Or even a "god" , that I have not decided. I think this world is meant for everyone to take and interpret the things that surround them, and not to follow what someone has put before them. If not, then why isn't the bible clear cut? Why are there so many different denominations of just say the Christian belief? This isn't even touching on Judaism, Buddhism, or thus and such.

Funny though. I have never had anyone tell me I was pushing my beliefs before, without me saying what my beliefs were.
Organized religion is mostly full of liars and hypocrites? actually, thats not a fact, because no one has ever met and interviewed every single member of organized religion to say most of them are evil. Thats judging thousands and thousands of people you have never met and saying they are bad. sounds like its just something you like to think in order to make your beliefs seem more right o_0.

True, in a since catholics and baptists do worship the same god, but it is in the means of worship and tradition that there is conflict. Saying that catholics and baptists dont get along is a pretty general judgment, its not like every single catholic is prejudice against baptists and vice versa, or that each religion has some law against fraternizing with the other religion.

Who says christians dont believe mormons can go to heaven? where is it written? the fact is the mormon beliefs on salvation arent the same as the conventional christian beliefs.

The bible isnt supposed to be a book of rules and guidlines. its the story of the people who we get the rules and guidlines from. where we get the tradition, our beliefs, and historical reference.

The reason why there our so many denominations is because like anywhere else there is disagreement, or more over, rebellion. simple as that.

im not trying to tell you that what you believe is wrong, i just wanted to straighten things about MY beliefs that you got wrong.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
InvaderJon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenInvaderJon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

InvaderJon

Posted 2003-02-21, 05:41 AM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
1000's and 1000's of years of recorded and PROVEN records have shown that all human beings that have been opened up have a brain. Also, 1000's of years of recorded and PROVEN research has proven that catscans show pictures of what is inside you.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-02-21, 02:10 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
Ok Jon, re-read my original quote it says nothing about the whole logic you are talking about. You assume it meant if you can't see it , it isn't there. Now that you have re-read it maybe you can realize, it says we have senses to make our own decisions, just like our own minds to make our own thoughts, so everyone needs to decide for themselves. SO don't try to point out mistakes in the logic, IF you don't understand the logic itself.

And for you to know, I have been to many churches, seen many things, in fact I was raised southern baptist. SO to shoot down my ideas saying I have no reason to believe them is jsut wrong. Have you seen a pastor preach about getting sinner's into a church, and then tell a girl she can't come back becuase she's an unwed mother? I have. Have you seen a pastor say women shouldn't be teaching? I have. Have you ever been to bible studies where in the baptist show how all the other religions are wrong? I have.

BTW what do you think is supposed to happen in heaven?

Rev. 5 v. 11-12
Rev 7 v. 9-12
Psalm 100 v. 4
Rev 19 v 1-7

So again... Don't assume you know anything about me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

khwiii

Posted 2003-02-21, 09:58 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
khwiii said:
Quote seen somewhere

To believe in God or in a guiding force because someone tells you to is the height of stupidity.

this quote is using the logic that you shouldnt believe things just because people tell you to. I was saying that we belive alot of things that people have told us. How do we know this life isnt a dream? well, weve been told this is reality, but can we prove that?

khwiii said:

And for you to know, I have been to many churches, seen many things, in fact I was raised southern baptist. SO to shoot down my ideas saying I have no reason to believe them is jsut wrong. Have you seen a pastor preach about getting sinner's into a church, and then tell a girl she can't come back becuase she's an unwed mother? I have. Have you seen a pastor say women shouldn't be teaching? I have. Have you ever been to bible studies where in the baptist show how all the other religions are wrong? I have.

BTW what do you think is supposed to happen in heaven?

Rev. 5 v. 11-12
Rev 7 v. 9-12
Psalm 100 v. 4
Rev 19 v 1-7
Many churches eh? do you know how many "churches" there are in this country alone? I seriously doubt you have been to such a significant number of churches that you can judge every single church in the world on it.

So you are applying a few peoples, or even religion's difference in belief to every religion and everyone associated with that religion?(BTW, i think you mean "try" to disprove other religions)

The quotes just say that in Heaven, you will be praising god, not that heaven is just praising god. idk about your baptists roots, but as a catholic, it is taught that heaven is perfect happiness. but heaven is first and foremost...beyond our comprehension. We cant describe what heaven will be like because it is a supernatural reality.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
InvaderJon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenInvaderJon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

InvaderJon

Posted 2003-02-21, 11:24 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
RoboticSilence said:
You'd think that if there were a God, this all-seeing, all-knowing whatever, he'd speak to everyone and not just to people he knows are just going to end up getting crucified, impaled, or burned... seems like a waste.

I was reading my book and found this passage I really really like dealing w/ God talking to ppl...it said that people who talk to God and God responding are known as crazy. Though back in the day they were prophets...
"The belonging you seek is not behind you, it's ahead."
--Maz Kanata
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Silverjinx18 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSilverjinx18 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Silverjinx18

Posted 2003-02-22, 09:01 AM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
InvaderJon said:
this quote is using the logic that you shouldnt believe things just because people tell you to. I was saying that we belive alot of things that people have told us. How do we know this life isnt a dream? well, weve been told this is reality, but can we prove that?
Come on, the point of that statement is more about deciding for yourself, not just believing what you are told. You are not applying it properly. How about this "don't believe everything you read". Just becuase you are told something, doesn't mean its true, it's everyone's choice to decide what's for them.

InvaderJon said:
So you are applying a few peoples, or even religion's difference in belief to every religion and everyone associated with that religion?(BTW, i think you mean "try" to disprove other religions)
You are correct, "try". So you know, I have taken from expierence on how I feel, i am not asking everyone to take what i say to heart, but i want you to understand why i feel the way i do.

I respect your opinions on your "God", and i'll agree to disagree with you, but i jsut wanted to clear up my view points, and exactly how that quote should be taken. "from my prespective".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

khwiii

Posted 2003-02-22, 02:42 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
Okay, ill agree to disagree as well
Flame me.

My DeadJournal...you know you want to.

"War doesn't determine who is right, it determines who is left."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

InvaderJon

Posted 2003-03-05, 05:33 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post "Do you Believe?"
Wow this forum is gettin real confusing lol
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-