Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Thumbs up Great Games with No Fames
Posted 2003-12-20, 11:28 PM
Im sure many of you played games that were never really up there in the rankings, but that doesn't mean the game didn't offer enjoyment. Some of the best games never got too popular until recently, or some never became popular at all except for hardcore players. I'd like to share some of the games I came across, and hopefully you all can share some of the ones you've played.

1 ) Valkyrie Profile - This is by far one of the most best RPGs I have EVER played on Playstation and I even put it over FF7. Only other RPG that can beat this IMO is Suikoden 2. This game puts you as Valkyrie, choser of the slain who must recruit Einherjar's (Warriors for Odin) by finding mortals that are slain and 'recruiting' them to fight for the Gods. This game offers SERIOUS challenge for many reasons.

First, there are two worlds, Asgard (Where the GODs live) and Midgard (Home to mortals). Valkyrie recruits men in Midgard, trains them up and sends them to Asgard. However, as you progress through the game, the enemies get tougher, and since your sending up your strongest Fighters to Asgard, you'll have to use the weaker ones to continue. Also, this is a TIMED RPG (Thats the only part I hate), so you can't train forever, you have to make use of every visit to Dungeons.

Soundtrack is fantastic and every character has their own voices (when doing combos or taunting), and their own person way of fighting. Your damages make Cloud Strife look like weakling since you start the game already doing over 2k worth of damage! Your combos in battle when using your party can also go as high as 100 hits!

Learning how to play the game is pretty difficult. I went halfway through the game before realizing the various and complicated things I can do. (After that, I started the game over and got the hang on it). This game is TRULY unique and great, you can NOT call yourself an RPG fan if you do not play this game! I suggest you hardcore RPG fans buy this game while it still can be found on eBay for like $60.

2) Thousand Arms - This is one funny and fun RPG! You battle to gain levels but at the same time, you have to pump up your current weapon. In order to do so, you need the spirit energy of girls. Whats that mean? You date girls to make your weaponry stronger! Thats right, 9 females to choose from and you can give them gifts or go on dates with all of them! Each have their own special way of pumping up your weapon and giving elemental powers.

Dating is a simulation. It puts you in first person view of the main character, facing the female character and basically, they ask you questions and you have to pick the best one out of the two choices. Questions get harder as time passes and some things you think are right are actually wrong.
Female: "What do you think about me?"
You: a) A Cat... b) ...I dont know..
Correct answer to make her happy: A

The battles are odd too. You choose 3 characters to fight. However, two of them stay in the backrow and taunt, tease, or cheer for you, raising your stats a bit. They can also cast spells to heal you and such. Only one of them does the fighting. Thus, all battles are really 1 on 1 with back up to keep the lead fighter alive. (Of course, if the leader guy dies, the next guy or girl jumps in)

Overall, the game is really fun and worth getting. Once again, dont expect to find this game too easily and at a low price. These type of games are going up in price since people finally realize how fun they are and what they missed out on.

3) Lunar and Lunar 2 - Old school graphics but offers one hell of an adventure. This game is fun to play and pretty challenging in its own right. Its your standard RPG and is meant for hardcore RPG fans only. People who like Dragon Warrior or Suikoden 1 and 2, should not pass up these games. Characters are unforgettable and the music really gets stuck in your head =).

4) Harvest Moon - Although out of all the series out there, only Harvest Moon 64, Harvest Moon: Back to Nature (For PSX) and the newest one coming in 2004, Harvest Moon: A wonderful life are the ONLY ones worth getting.

Game is simple, you inherit a farm after your grandpa passes away. Farm is run down and no one in the village knows / cares about you. You have to change all that. Within the 2 / 3 years your given (Depends on what game, Harvest Moon: Back to Nature is the BEST one so far), you must turn the run down farm into a money making estate! Grow Crops, Raise Cows, Sheeps, Chicken..and then get along with your neighbors! There are also girls you can woo and eventually marry.

Most say this game sucks because there is no fighting. That is true, but I personally turned alot of people in HM fans. I let them borrow my game..and they wouldn't return it back to me. Theres just something about this game that makes you addicted to it. I felt the same way before...but now I never knew how fun running a farm and making friends with villagers can be. I suggest ONLY Harvest Moon: Back to Nature for Playstation. Its the best one and offers the most fun! DO NOT miss out on this RPG!

SUMMARY:
Valkyrie Profile - Playstation
Thousand Arms - Playstation
Lunar / Lunar 2 - Playstation
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature - Playstation

Get these games. They kick ass and are a hundred times better (especially Valkyrie Profile) than any Final Fantasy game in existance. I know for a fact that Valkyrie Profile can EASILY win against ANY Final Fantasy in the entire series and can still compete against Suikoden games. Valkyrie Profile is truly a great game for a normal Playstation console...I just wish they made another one just like it for PS2 and such.

RPG fans, do not miss out on these games! Especially not VP. If you do, you have no idea on the fun your missing out on. The game your playing right now is probably crap compared to these old school ones.
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind"
"Im about to overload my aggression inhibitors"

"It says....push any key...er um, which one is the 'any' key?"

"Knowledge is Power. Power--Leads to Corruption. So we all go to school to be Evil!"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
StarcraftGhost is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenStarcraftGhost is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

StarcraftGhost

Posted 2003-12-21, 03:44 AM in reply to StarcraftGhost's post "Great Games with No Fames"
Fallout series doesn't get the attention it deserves... plus there are a ton of Shareware gems no one knows about. Zombies Smashers X is fun as hell. Google for it.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-12-21, 06:48 AM in reply to StarcraftGhost's post "Great Games with No Fames"
Thanks, Ghost. I'm not in tune with the RPG world but I love RPGs. I'll check out VP(maintaing a farm just doesn't sound fun).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2003-12-21, 07:52 AM in reply to StarcraftGhost's post "Great Games with No Fames"
Suikoden 2 is definitely underrated. That game has one of the best plots I've seen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-12-21, 09:53 AM in reply to StarcraftGhost's post "Great Games with No Fames"
Heck yes, I know what you mean. Suikoden 2 is really fun. If you take the time to recruit all the characters (Without using walkthroughs), it can take you a pretty long time. Multiple endings depending on decisions you make also add more flavor. Yeah I should of included that in my list, its one of my top RPGs that actually compete against VP. Played Suikoden 3 and loved it too (Chris is badass! But my favorite character is that Dragoon Girl in yellow, she only takes like 1 damage from the final boss lol). Can't wait for part 4 to come out soon!

Anyone else also know fun games that never got highly rated?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valkyriecal.jpg (44.8 KB, 15 views)
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind"
"Im about to overload my aggression inhibitors"

"It says....push any key...er um, which one is the 'any' key?"

"Knowledge is Power. Power--Leads to Corruption. So we all go to school to be Evil!"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
StarcraftGhost is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenStarcraftGhost is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

StarcraftGhost

Posted 2003-12-21, 10:17 AM in reply to StarcraftGhost's post "Great Games with No Fames"
Ooh, Lunar and Lunar 2. My two favorite RPG's ever. Maybe even my favorite allaround games ever.

What can I say? Excellent character development, the plot was fantastic, and the gameplay was fun too. They are just plain awesome.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2003-12-21, 05:17 PM in reply to StarcraftGhost's post "Great Games with No Fames"
You want an obscure title? How about Hostile Waters: Anteaus Rising?

It was a cool action/strategy hybrid for the PC that died due to poor marketing by Interplay.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm