Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Mirror's Edge
Posted 2008-10-30, 02:31 PM
The demo has been released for the PS3 via PSN, but I won't be able to download it for my Xbox 360 until tomorrow. Has anyone tried it out yet?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-10-30, 02:50 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Mirror's Edge"
I haven't tried it out yet, but I've seen an extensive demo on X-play. I still fail to see what is so wonderous about this game to people.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-10-30, 03:07 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "I haven't tried it out yet, but I've..."
Kazilla said: [Goto]
I still fail to see what is so wonderous about this game to people.

This:

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-10-30, 03:38 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Mirror's Edge"
I would do, but I can't access teh intarwebs with my PS3 at college. Bloody IT department.

Is the demo the first level, do you know?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-10-30, 05:46 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I would do, but I can't access teh..."
All the chase scenes from Assasins Creed minus textures?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2008-10-30, 05:52 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "All the chase scenes from Assasins..."
Assassin's Creed was an amazing game, but so damn repetitive. It was so hard to get into it, I actually never managed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-10-31, 08:52 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "Assassin's Creed was an amazing game,..."
Persevere, man!

I've seen a couple of the latest videos of ME, and I'm still not 100% sure about the camera. It makes me a bit queasy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-10-31, 09:07 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Persevere, man! I've seen a couple..."
I've played the Mirror's Edge demo for the Xbox 360 for a few hours. I'm too fatigued to review it in detail, but I can doubtlessly say that it has not only met, but far surpassed my high expectations. The controls took about an hour to get used to, but eventually, I was able to perform wallrun-jump kick combos, which are nice. If Bungie would have made a significantly improved sequel to Oni (at least as far as gameplay goes), Mirror's Edge would definitely have been it.

Also, enemies are extremely tough. 3-4 punches or bullets are generally enough to kill you (although I managed, on few occasions, to die instantaneously from welcoming a single bullet into my body, presumably into my head). In other words, engaging more than a single opponent in close combat is borderline suicidal.

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-10-31 at 09:36 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-11-01, 06:33 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I've played the Mirror's Edge demo for..."
What's the camera like in the demo, and how easy is it to manipulate/make less... queasifying?

My main gripe with it is that it doesn't look natural. In videos it jiggles too much, and the angle frustrates me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-11-02, 03:41 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "What's the camera like in the demo, and..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
What's the camera like in the demo, and how easy is it to manipulate/make less... queasifying?

My main gripe with it is that it doesn't look natural. In videos it jiggles too much, and the angle frustrates me.
It's actually not that bad. Feels a bit jerky but also seems like it's there to give weight to the character. Reminds me a lot of Breakdown for X-box.

Has an option to change the sensitivity (obviously) but didn't bother to screw with it as I felt comfortable with the camera.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2008-12-25, 09:40 AM in reply to Wed-G's post starting "It's actually not that bad. Feels a bit..."
I just beat Mirror's Edge last night... I started midday and played it until 4:30 am. It was that amazing! I got the 360 version and on HDMI 1080p it looked flawess in terms of graphics. The action is nonstop, jaw-dropping, heartstopping fun. I severly reccomend this game for anyone gamer out there who has a PS3 or 360. The controls are very fluid once you get the hang of running through the environments. After you are used to it you won't even need the 'runners vision' anymore you will be able to just feel the flow of the city as you run.

Twelve thumbs up!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2008-12-25, 03:03 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I just beat Mirror's Edge last night......"
And whilst you were beating it, I was playing the demo (tutorial and first level)!

The tutorial was OK, and I rather enjoyed it. Throughout, I felt myself warming to the game immensely... then the level let me down. I've watched it countless times in various reviews and gameplay videos and powers know what else, so I knew what to expect and where, but it didn't go at all smoothly. Sure, it's nice how you're not tied down to one path through each level, but I found myself running around in circles here and there whilst I searched for the next red thing (I know the level like the back of my hand... what gives?!). My main gripe with it, though... the camera! The freakin' camera! I didn't actually mind the jiggling. A bit of jiggle can be healthy for a man, it was more the fact that it pointed straight ahead. All the time. I think it's a failing with monitors, to be honest - what I wouldn't give for three monitors, or the curved Alienware monitor. The reason? Periphery vision. It does my nut in to be only able to see straight ahead, and at the speed the game goes at when it's in flow (which I rather liked), it's a massive failing in my book.

It's not a game I'd buy myself. If I was given it as a present, or it fell out of the sky, then fine, I'd play it, but I wouldn't put down ÂŁ40 on it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-12-26, 05:13 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "And whilst you were beating it, I was..."
You gotta let yourself go and feel the flow Lenny, when your running and your in an open area tap the B button (360 version) you will automatically face toward your goal or the next area you have to reach. Just feel the flow Lenny.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2008-12-26, 07:24 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "You gotta let yourself go and feel the..."
I purchased it, and really enjoyed playing it. I don't think it has as much replay value as, say, Oni, but Mirror's Edge is undoubtedly a great game that I recommend.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-12-26, 04:02 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I purchased it, and really enjoyed..."
Chruser said: [Goto]
I purchased it, and really enjoyed playing it. I don't think it has as much replay value as, say, Oni, but Mirror's Edge is undoubtedly a great game that I recommend.
Yea, they could have really added to the replay value if they had added a multiplayer mode of some sorts besides time trials. I would love to race side by side against someone across the roof tops only to jump kick them in the back of the head right as they were about the leap to another rooftop... sigh... maybe in a future installment or downloadable content.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy