Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

View Poll Results: How hard was it for you to get started with RPG maker Xp?
Easy. 0 0%
Eh, had some problems nothing too serious. 3 60.00%
Had some bad problems i couldnt fix without help. 2 40.00%
Needed to go to a seminar to understand anything. 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Smile Newbie GameMaker Seeking Assistance.
Posted 2007-06-22, 09:00 AM
Well first of all i need help changing Images. Is there a way thats easy to just clear all the images and start from scratch?

I also need help with quests.. i made one with a tutorial but i really need help understanding switches and conditional branches and such. Pretty much would be good if you could direct me to a complete tutorial or help me through E-mail or here. My E-mail is Wolfturn@Hotmail.com Thanks!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2007-06-22, 09:02 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post "Newbie GameMaker Seeking Assistance."
I can't personally help you but I'd like to welcome you to Zelaron. Enjoy your stay! There are a few people here who are really sharp with RPGmaker, and I'm sure they could help you.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-06-22, 09:32 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post "Newbie GameMaker Seeking Assistance."
I had a couple of problems when starting with it, but easy to sort out with a bit of thought.
Quick question - have you migrated to RMXP from RM2K3 or RM2K, or is it the first RPG Maker you've used?

Welcome, by the way.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-06-22, 09:46 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I had a couple of problems when..."
First Rpg Maker Ever. Hence the Newbie lol
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2007-06-22, 09:50 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "First Rpg Maker Ever. Hence the Newbie..."
Fair enough.

I'll leave someone else to help with the tutorial, as I prefer to answer the shorter questions.

What exactly do you want to do with these images?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-06-22, 09:56 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Fair enough. I'll leave someone..."
Well, i want to change the images from the defualt ones that come with the game, those look very ugly.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2007-06-22, 09:58 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Well, i want to change the images from..."
Righto.

First of all, do you have your own pictures with which to replace the default ones?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-06-22, 09:58 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Righto. First of all, do you have..."
Eh, i was hopping you'd help me with that part also? =)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2007-06-22, 10:03 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Righto. First of all, do you have..."
Well would i look for them on the internet or what?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2007-06-22, 10:03 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Eh, i was hopping you'd help me with..."
Well, there are two ways you can go about it:

1. If you're a good enough artist, you can create your own images and import them.

2. If you're not, or you're just lazy, then there are sites around the net that will have a goodly amount of images.

http://charas-project.net is usually a good place to start looking for things.

Last edited by Lenny; 2007-06-22 at 10:06 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-06-22, 10:06 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Well, there are two ways you can go..."
Ok then what do i do when i have the images?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2007-06-22, 10:16 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Ok then what do i do when i have the..."
If you want to get rid of all the default images first, then you'll need to go into C:\Program Files\Common Files\Enterbrain\RGSS\Standard\Graphics and delete all the image files in the folders under Graphics.

If you want to keep the default ones there (some are quite nice, and it's always good to have some things to fall back on in case, say, you're unhappy with the new images), then obviously don't delete them.

Whichever of the two you decide to do, you'll need to do the following to import new images:

- Open up RMXP
- Open up your project
- On the toolbar, you'll see an icon that looks like a folder with three documents to its bottom right. Click it.
- This brings up the Resource Manager.
- Choose the folder into which you'll import your images (if it's a tileset, then it goes into Graphics/Tilesets, and so on).
- Click import, and browse to the file.
- Select it.
- Hit OK.
- Repeat as necessary.

That should work perfectly.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-06-22, 10:31 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "If you want to get rid of all the..."
Wow it works!! Now if someone can just explain to me how to make a basic quest.

---

*cough* Lenny? Would you do the honors?

---

Thanks Lenny! I guess my Previus Thanks Post didint come out. Anyways i still need someone to help me out with some basic quest making. And help with switches and such.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2007-06-22, 10:35 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Wow it works!! Now if someone can just..."
Sorry - I'm a bit slow today.

All new members have to have their first ten posts apporved before they show up. So if you post, and it doesn't appear, it just means that one of the Mods hasn't approved it, yet.

---

As for quests and switches... explain exactly what it is you want to do, and someone like BlueCube or Atnas will pop up sometime and talk you through it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-06-22, 10:46 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Sorry - I'm a bit slow today. All..."
I want to make a quest that involves you killing a certain amount of monsters. and i would just like to know how it works also so i can make my own quests without help. I seem to not take to understanding variables, switches and conditionals easily.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2007-06-22, 11:03 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "I want to make a quest that involves..."
Would Anyone Know how to do that? Im getting bored of staying here i think im just ganna play some piano...

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2007-06-22, 11:10 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Would Anyone Know how to do that? Im..."
Don't worry, you'll get a reply eventually. The RPG forum is basically the Zelaron backwaters - slow moving, but it does move.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-06-22, 11:12 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Would Anyone Know how to do that? Im..."
Wolfturn said:
Would Anyone Know how to do that? Im getting bored of staying here i think im just ganna play some piano...
If you're bored here, try visiting the other areas of the forum. If you look through the RPG maker forum, there's tons of helpful stuff. Also, outside of the RPG maker forum, there's plenty of conversation going on about other topics.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-06-22, 11:43 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Sorry - I'm a bit slow today. All..."
I'll run you through switches.

A switch is what it sounds like. A switch. Think of it like this.

You're in your room and there's an old guy sitting in the corner.

He says (if Switch:Light=off) "Turn on the light, honey."

So you walk over to the light switch, and you turn the switch on.

There's another page to the old man's event. This time the precondition is (if Switch:Light=on) and the old man says, "Good job." and you recieve 1 groping.

Basically you can have up to, I forget... 600 something switches and you are able to name each one and they are either turned off or on by an event.

Do you need more of an example?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2007-06-22, 11:52 AM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I'll run you through switches. A..."
Hey, excuse the double post, I know there's an edit button, but I don't feel like editing. I left this on a tab while I was doing something else and forgot about it, then finished and saw all the replies.

Make a variable called Monsterthingy1 or whatever... And make it so that everytime you kill a monster it adds one to that variable, and maybe have a conditional branch or something where you have a graphic for each number and you show the graphic in the upper left corner of the screen or wherever, depending on the value of the variable Monsterthingy1. You would add to the variable by making special troops in the database and say :if rabbit Hp=0 add 1 to variable Monsterthingy1. Something like that. I'm not using the exact syntax, but you should be able to get the idea if you know anything about boolean logic.

Hey, I'm fine with all this typing, it's just opening up RMXP and taking screenies or making demo's that I'm slightly opposed to. It's summer, so hey, just throw anything up in the air, I'll try.

I depleted my coke reserves.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas