Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

changing maps
Posted 2006-08-09, 11:23 PM
ok, i have a very simple question that i for some reason cannot figure out.

i have downloaded the demo version of rpg maker xp, and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to change a map! (ie, player walks into a door sprite and goes inside the house).

why cannot i not figure out such a simple task?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
faust is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenfaust is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

faust

Posted 2006-08-10, 08:04 AM in reply to faust's post "changing maps"
Do you know how to make map events? Becuse if so you put a map event in the door way that has a transfer player event in it so that it transfers the player to the map you want him to go to . Please tell me if i make any sence. oh and it took me about 5 hours to figure it out and that was from scouring the help file.

Last edited by Kire; 2006-08-10 at 08:06 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kire

Posted 2006-08-10, 08:42 AM in reply to Kire's post starting "Do you know how to make map events?..."
ok, i actually just tried random things and got it to work with events, although it is a pain in the ass (especially to cover large sections one tile at a time).

now i am trying to figure out how to have npcs to talk to and move around and such.

thanks for your time though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
faust is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenfaust is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

faust

Posted 2006-08-10, 09:28 AM in reply to faust's post starting "ok, i actually just tried random things..."
I know what you mean but at least you can just copy and paist events to cover large areas
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kire

Posted 2006-08-10, 10:59 AM in reply to faust's post starting "ok, i actually just tried random things..."
ok hurray, npcs are not that hard.

but i don't know how to make them do things on command, like after some dialogue, have them move somewhere (like out of the way), and make them change what they say.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

faust

Posted 2006-08-10, 11:07 AM in reply to faust's post starting "ok hurray, npcs are not that hard. ..."
YAYYYYY!!!!! NoobFest '06!
Goro goro!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
llamallover2021 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenllamallover2021 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

llamallover2021

Posted 2006-08-10, 11:08 AM in reply to faust's post starting "ok hurray, npcs are not that hard. ..."
If it were RM2K3 then you'd be able to call that event to move.

Unfortunately, RMXP had a lot of the good events cut out, so you'll have to make do with a switch in the event with the dialogue turning ON, and give the NPC event a precondition of Switch [0001] ON (choose the switch number that you turned on in the dialogue event, of course -- ie if you turned on Switch [0527] then you need the precondition to be Switch [0527]), or have a conditional branch:

If Switch [0001] ON
<> NPC Move
Else
<>

I think for them to say something when you talk to them needs two pages - first can be set off by action key, second automatically:

Page 1 Precon.: Switch [0002] ON (put a switch at the end of moving the NPC in the first bit of code:

If Switch [0001] ON
<> NPC Move
<> Switch [0002] ON)

Page 2 Precon.: Switch [0001] ON

---

If it doesn't work, then just wait around for a while until someone pops up to disprove me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-08-10, 06:56 PM in reply to faust's post "changing maps"
~mistake~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Codeman12349 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenCodeman12349 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Codeman12349

Posted 2006-08-15, 08:21 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "If it were RM2K3 then you'd be able to..."
i managed some time ago to get npcs to move, i mostly have the whole switch thing down now.

my problem is, it stops working if i try and get a little more advanced.

what i want to do is this:

i have a character blocking a path, and when spoken to i would like him to say his thing, and then move up one and then left and turn back to face the player.

this will work if that is it. but i would like to change what he says and turn the event move off.

my npc is set up like this, and i have played with it forever but it won't work for me.

Page 1 (set to key activate)

Move Event
up
left
face player
--------------------------------------- it works if i have nothing after this.
Switch on

Page 2 (set to key activate, switch prerequisite)

if i add everything past the line, then then the npc will only move up, and not the rest of the command. so is this a bug in the program, or am i doing something wrong?

thanks for your help in advance.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

faust