Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Posted 2005-05-01, 10:20 AM
They call 'em virtual graphics cards...take up part of the processors power...little bastrads they are...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-01, 01:07 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "They call 'em virtual graphics..."
I think you might mean integrated. I've got an integrated 64mb intel POS and I play WoW fine.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-05-01, 03:48 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I think you might mean integrated. ..."
but i dont have WoW, so onto my original question, is there any good online free mmorpg
Quote:
www.rpg-lords.co.nr for a great rpg community
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
domolordy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweendomolordy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

domolordy

Posted 2005-06-02, 03:44 AM in reply to domolordy's post starting "but i dont have WoW, so onto my..."
domolordy said:
but i dont have WoW, so onto my original question, is there any good online free mmorpg
Guild Wars.... well it has no monthly fee like all the others, but you still got to goto a store and buy it. Now stop being a cheap ass and go!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2005-06-02, 10:43 AM in reply to domolordy's post starting "but i dont have WoW, so onto my..."
domolordy said:
I suggest dropping about $50 for a pretty good video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814153019 if you have AGP slots on your motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102354 if you just have PCI slots.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2005-06-02, 10:58 AM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "I suggest dropping about $50 for a..."
Oh...don't get Dom started on graphics cards...he has the worst luck with them...yet he can't be bothered to fork out £60 or £70 to buy a proper up to date one and have it installed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-06-02, 12:30 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Oh...don't get Dom started on graphics..."
Have it installed?

Step 1: Take screws out of back of case and take case off.
Step 2: Plug card into AGP or PCI slot. It won't fit in the wrong slot, so don't worry about that.
Step 3: Put case back on.
Step 4: Turn on your computer.*
Step 5: Install drivers from the CD that came with the video card.

*If you're running on-board video currently, and you put in an AGP video card, you have to go into bios and tell it you're going to be using an AGP card. It's not too difficult--just another step you can't forget about.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-06-02, 01:01 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Have it installed? Step 1: Take..."
He's not the best at this sort of thing...

And anyway, it's never that simple. We formatted our computer on Staurday and reinstalled everything on Sunday. On Monday we tried installing the graphics card. Now the good thing about ME is that it worked. The bad thing about XP is that it didn't. We ended up having to go into safe mode to install the drivers and disable the on board.

You neevr have those type of problems in ME, but when you move to a supposedly better OS then they start to happen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-06-02, 01:14 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "He's not the best at this sort of..."
Are you saying that ME is better than XP? 0_0

Wait, are you saying that ME is better than ANYTHING?

XP > 2000 > 98 > > 95 > Dos > 3.1 > ME

(maybe switch Dos and 95)
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-06-02, 02:13 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Are you saying that ME is better than..."
In terms of being able to access things, ME is far better than XP. Microsfot think that they've cracked security on XP. Tell me how many times you've left all the security to the programs on XP.

And also, when installing my graphics card on ME, it worked first time. It took me 5 minutes to install. Then we come to XP. I did excatly what it said in the book that came with the graphics card on how to install it. It took me a whole damn day to install it on XP with me, as I've said, having to finally go into Safe Mode and install it because in normal mode it wouldn't work.

Now, judging on that, which is the better OS??

My graphics card is a GeForce FX 5200 128mb if it's of any importance.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-06-02, 02:18 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "In terms of being able to access..."
I'd literally rather run DOS on my machine than Windows ME.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-06-02, 02:22 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "I'd literally rather run DOS on my..."
If you know exactly what you're doing with DOS, then you can run it instead of anything.

I asked how many times you've left all the security to the programs on XP. Well??
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-06-02, 02:34 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "If you know exactly what you're doing..."
Um... I have Norton Antivirus, but that's about it.

That and I'm running Firefox.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-06-02, 02:40 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Um... I have Norton Antivirus, but..."
There you go!! They say Xp has better security, yet who uses it??!

Another problem with XP is that SP2 conflicts with many of the good security programs that clever Xp users download instead of using Xp's own...such as Spybot, or AVG, or ZoneAlarm.

And Firefox doesn't stop you getting malicious ware. I used Firefox for about 6 months, and got a lot of viruses. I used IE, same sites, not as many viruses, and now Maxthon, and I get about one or two viruses a month...if i'm LUCKY!

And thanks to XP's absolutely wonderful access restrictions I can't get rid of them the way I would have done in ME. I find that even Norton can't work properly because of XP (compared to how well it worked in ME). It's got to a point where I've just thought "Sod it" and created a System Restore point when the computer was completely free of anything (spyware, trojans, hijackers, the lot) and keep on reverting to that whenever somethign happens.

Sure, XP may be more stable and doesn't crash as often as ME did, but ME is a far better OS.

Out of interest, have you ever used ME?? And if so, for how long??
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-06-02, 03:07 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "There you go!! They say Xp has better..."
I used ME for about 4 months when it came out then I went back to Windows 2000.

Btw, who doesn't run Norton?
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-06-02, 03:11 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "I used ME for about 4 months when it..."
You'd be surprised...of the top of my head I can name at least 6 people I know who don't use it.

4 months isn't really long enough...I've been using it since it came out...up until Saturday.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-06-02, 03:28 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "You'd be surprised...of the top of my..."
I think 4 months was plenty of time.

(Btw, this needs a split. We're WAY off topic. I'd do it, but... not mod in here.)

Also, since we're off-topic, I'll throw this here, as it doesn't deserve a thread of its own:

Lenny's Interviewer said:
What makes you angry/scared?
Lenny said:
Angry? Dom (Lord), some of the time. Road works. And of course, Mr. Tony Blair and his Labour Government.

Scared? David Dickinson! I have nightmares about orange skin because of him. Seriously, erm, deep water. In fact deep, moving water (such as rivers, or lakes, or the sea), being on boats in that water, and the deep end of a swimming pool. IÂ’ve never been the same since I watched Jaws (or Toy Story for that matter. I used to lock my toys up at night. Ah, happy times).
Aren't lakes stagnant?
D3V said:

Last edited by Medieval Bob; 2005-06-02 at 03:42 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-06-02, 03:52 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "I think 4 months was plenty of time. ..."
I agree...but where'd we put it??

And I don't think 4 months is enough. There are some situations that only happen after a year or so of being on ME...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-06-02, 04:34 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "I used ME for about 4 months when it..."
ME was horrible for the first year or two. Microsoft actually did a good job of patching it to the point where it didn't bluescreen randomly and then lock up when you tried to restart.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2005-06-02, 05:00 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "ME was horrible for the first year or..."
I hate my comps. when I go to college I am going to try to scam my dad into getting me a 1337 gaming comp.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags