Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Finals
Posted 2005-12-17, 10:15 PM
So im taking my 3rd final tomorrow and it got me wondering, why do teachers insist on giving finals when every other one is doing the same. I have been studying for 5 finals, which totals 35 hrs, or 7 hrs per final. I really feel like i havent learned anything because everything has jumbled into one subject. What is everybody's take on finals. Be honest, should we have them or not. Or better yet, should they not cover the entire year. Maybe something like test til the midterm, then new material to the end of the semester.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-12-17, 10:43 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post "Finals"
i passed all my semester finals A++++ will go again
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2005-12-17, 10:55 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post "Finals"
gruesomeBODY said:
So im taking my 3rd final tomorrow and it got me wondering, why do teachers insist on giving finals when every other one is doing the same. I have been studying for 5 finals, which totals 35 hrs, or 7 hrs per final. I really feel like i havent learned anything because everything has jumbled into one subject. What is everybody's take on finals. Be honest, should we have them or not. Or better yet, should they not cover the entire year. Maybe something like test til the midterm, then new material to the end of the semester.
Maybe they shuold just let you coast threw college become a doctor and expect you to be able to operate on a brain?

Finals are good they make sure you know everything...Damn lazy halo freak:P
XBL: GreatThanatos69
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Great-Thanatos is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGreat-Thanatos is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Great-Thanatos

Posted 2005-12-18, 02:12 AM in reply to Great-Thanatos's post starting "Maybe they shuold just let you coast..."
Finals are a good idea, but they are weighted extremely heavily. At OSU some of my finals make up as much as 60% of the grade. If homework and projects were waited slightly more I would focus a bit more on them and all in all, I'd know the material better because I wouldn't jsut be memorizing facts for a test. I'd be actually learning and understanding the material.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sue_13

Posted 2005-12-18, 04:55 AM in reply to sue_13's post starting "Finals are a good idea, but they are..."
To say it's two completely different systems, Britain and America have kinda similar takes on things.

We don't do these "Final" thingies, we get a big test at the end of the year usually. Though we get mini tests after each little subject.

As for coursework, it depends on the subject. Some, like German, only count for 25% of the whole mark, whilst things like Tech and Music counts for 60%.

Yet I only know this from GCSE...I don't know about A' Level or Degree courses or owt.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-12-18, 07:08 AM in reply to Great-Thanatos's post starting "Maybe they shuold just let you coast..."
Great-Thanatos said:
Maybe they shuold just let you coast threw college become a doctor and expect you to be able to operate on a brain?

Finals are good they make sure you know everything...Damn lazy halo freak:P
You are asaying that i am lazy, but ive put in 35 hrs of studying. Where do u come off saying that. For the whole year, i have had just 5 tests, all midterms and now all finals, no little tests inbetween. I have had a few projects but those are easy. Im just trying to say, that studying for one final is alright, but studying for 5 is terrible. Its not being lazy when you are putting full nights and most fo days studying. I want to remember the stuff i learn and studying like this wont help. Like Sue said, id learn so much more if they werent weighted so high.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-12-18, 08:39 AM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "You are asaying that i am lazy, but ive..."
How do you revise all the things for each subject? I'm just curious to see how you go about it. I've always just sat down, made notes and read through a whole tome for each subject.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-12-18, 09:10 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "How do you revise all the things for..."
well i start 3 days before the actual final and rewrite all my notes. I then read the chapters in the textbook and then try to get together with other people to discuss what we learned. I then retake all the quizes and tests to see if i progressed and then just reread my notes til i know the stuff cold. I really dont care to do all of this, but when u have more then one final in a day, u cant be sure of any of the subject material. Thats what happened to me this semseter. I have two finals on thursday, two on Sunday and then one on the following thursday, which isnt so bad.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-12-18, 09:15 AM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "well i start 3 days before the actual..."
gruesomeBODY said:
well i start 3 days before the actual final and rewrite all my notes. I then read the chapters in the textbook and then try to get together with other people to discuss what we learned. I then retake all the quizes and tests to see if i progressed and then just reread my notes til i know the stuff cold. I really dont care to do all of this, but when u have more then one final in a day, u cant be sure of any of the subject material. Thats what happened to me this semseter. I have two finals on thursday, two on Sunday and then one on the following thursday, which isnt so bad.
Threaten your professors with cudgel-like objects and things move a lot more smoothly.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2005-12-18, 11:31 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Threaten your professors with..."
One word. Aderol. Will get you thru anything college has to throw at you. Like honestly, If I took an aderol at like 10am I would study till like 6 non stop and wouldnt even be that hungry, then eat dinner, then study til like 10. Problem is it will keep you awake so you might as well keep studying til 2am if you can't sleep. You become this machine that blocks out all distractions what so ever and FOCUS and you retain everything you read.
XboxLive: x2xExZ

D2jsp: Your_Mom
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
SlickFic04 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSlickFic04 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

SlickFic04

Posted 2005-12-18, 12:33 PM in reply to SlickFic04's post starting "One word. Aderol. Will get you thru..."
Aderol isnt really that good of a study help beacuse it becomes a crutch or you take to much.. then you got a problem. I snorted 185 mg about and couldnt sleep for 2 fucking days straight I was off the walls.
I think that you should not have finals to pass a class but you have to pass the final for that class to get your degree beacuse I have had easy times in class and then the final for a class just fucked me over, and it weighs soo much on youre grade it ruins a whole year or semester of learning. I hate em.
Zelaron - [ Translate this page ]
Zelaron est une communauté en ligne pour des gamers, des programmeurs et des ar.
www.yotor.com/wiki/fr/ze/Zelaron.htm - 5k - Cached - Similar pages
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Arkantis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenArkantis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Arkantis

Posted 2005-12-18, 01:37 PM in reply to Arkantis's post starting "Aderol isnt really that good of a study..."
My finals are at the end of January. :\
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2005-12-18, 06:01 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post starting "My finals are at the end of January. :\"
wow thats late
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-12-18, 06:48 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post "Finals"
it just finds out if you know the shit or not. i think they are very important.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2005-12-18, 10:12 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "wow thats late"
gruesomeBODY said:
wow thats late
I know, I get out of school at the 28th of June, I believe.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2005-12-18, 11:51 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post starting "I know, I get out of school at the 28th..."
wow again, thats nuts, but when do u get to school
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-12-19, 08:37 AM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "wow again, thats nuts, but when do u..."
I have two days of finals, Wednesday and Thursday. Most teachers are very kind and only give a chapter test as it or have you present a project, but others, like my Pre-Calc teacher, give us big semester exams. It's weird though, because my friends at public in town have their finals after Christmas break early in January.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2005-12-19, 04:18 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "wow again, thats nuts, but when do u..."
gruesomeBODY said:
wow again, thats nuts, but when do u get to school

The end of August, around the 28th again, I think.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jamesadin

Posted 2005-12-19, 04:19 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post starting "The end of August, around the 28th..."
I from Sept 7th to June 25th, or thereabouts.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-12-19, 07:12 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I from Sept 7th to June 25th, or..."
That's crap. School should always get out before June.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos