Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

THE NEW ZELARON PORTAL! (No, it's not launched yet, but we need YOUR ideas! Now!)
Posted 2007-08-23, 12:06 AM
The planned, new Zelaron portal is 100% vBulletin compatible. This means that you will be able to search the forums, browse the latest threads, see which users are online, switch between synthesis/ocean theme colors and so on directly on the portal itself. But, having a portal for these purposes alone would be stupid as all of these things can be accomplished on the forum anyway. This is the reason why our old portal failed. It didn't offer any new features aside from pointless eye candy.

So, what kind of features do you want to see on the new Zelaron portal? What would make YOU want to use it as your start page? A pre-selected Google search field? Your own customizable calendar which lets you add personal notes? Local weather and news reports? Post your ideas, anything goes! Even if they're completely insane!

Note that Zelaron members will be able to vote on portal pages ("modules") to determine their usefulness. Considering that portal pages can just as easily be removed as new ones can be added, a trial and error approach to finding the perfect modules and content is definitely a possibility.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2007-08-23, 12:07 AM in reply to Chruser's post "THE NEW ZELARON PORTAL! (No, it's not..."
Able to choose games on the arcade and play them in the same window through flash.

A small little bar that shows if you've done your 5 daily posts of the day.

A shoutbox.

A part of the window should show the new posts page and refresh itself every 1 minutes.

Last edited by kaos; 2007-08-23 at 12:10 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2007-08-23, 06:48 AM in reply to kaos's post starting "Able to choose games on the arcade and..."
I want more smilies.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-23, 06:51 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I want more smilies."
We definately need more smilies.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-23, 07:31 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "We definately need more smilies."
I'm talking a DB of like 2-300 more.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-23, 07:44 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I'm talking a DB of like 2-300 more."
All of the same style? Or a mish-mash of different styles?

Animated? Static?

There's something - we could get members to design some.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-08-23, 07:50 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "All of the same style? Or a mish-mash..."
Animated of course, ones that hold signs up etc, There's alot of pre-made ones out there on other forums, and we're stuck with the same 20-30..

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-08-23, 08:14 AM in reply to Chruser's post "THE NEW ZELARON PORTAL! (No, it's not..."
Local news/weather would be cool.

Maybe links to funny videos and such...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-08-23, 08:30 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Local news/weather would be cool. ..."
I think putting something as simple as like a google search would give it some use. Instead of putting google as my homepage I could put the Zelaron portal, and get a google search along with other things.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-23, 08:45 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I think putting something as simple as..."
Yep, like vista has it built in on the bottom bar.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-08-23, 09:23 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yep, like vista has it built in on the..."
Customizable stock ticker that enables you to pick which ones you want to monitor on top of the market as a whole.

Sports ticker with updated scores on all or any games you choose.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2007-08-23, 09:38 AM in reply to kaos's post starting "Able to choose games on the arcade and..."
A shoutbox sounds good. I'm not sure about an arcade game selector, governing how easy it would be to visit the arcade anyway. Maybe a pull-down menu with all available games would be useful.

Funny videos? I guess some kind of YouTube integration could work. E.g., we could have the pre-selected Google search field come with three radio buttons, "Google Search" being the default one. The other two would be options to search YouTube, and of course, Zelaron threads.

Maybe a "featured videos selected by Zelaron members" page of some sort could work.

More ideas:
  • Customizable member profile pages (e.g. username.zelaron.com)
  • User-definable RSS feeds
  • Software downloads
  • Torrents
  • Gmail login, or gmail-powered @zelaron.com e-mail (Google has already approved my request for the latter; I just didn't add the feature as it felt out of place on the forum itself)
  • Wallpapers
  • Shipment tracking
  • Birthday tracking (Yes, part of the personal calendar feature, but having a separate page for adding new birthdays would likely make me use this feature more often)
  • Share lists and graphs (Not sure if anyone here is into this)

List more!
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2007-08-23 at 09:41 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2007-08-23, 09:48 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "A shoutbox sounds good. I'm not sure..."
That all sounds good to me. A new calendar wouldn't hurt anything, since our calendar has been broken since like december. It doesn't go past march of 2007 and even then you've gotta mess around with it to get to that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-23, 10:05 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "A shoutbox sounds good. I'm not sure..."
Member profiles sound badass. That would def. spruce this place up.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-08-23, 01:43 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Member profiles sound badass. That..."
Chruser's book of the month club =P.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-08-23, 02:13 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Chruser's book of the month club =P."
Since when do I read books?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2007-08-23, 05:06 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "A shoutbox sounds good. I'm not sure..."
Shoutbox would take activity away from the forums instead of adding it.

As for smilies, we have 65, not 20. If you need some obscure smilie, you can post it as a picture. I see no reason to add 200 smilies.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-08-23, 05:31 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Since when do I read books?"
Well, you're into art at least. Try and get some people here from deviant?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-08-23, 10:43 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Shoutbox would take activity away from..."
WW, you see no reason to do anything as long as the forums are functional.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-23, 11:21 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "WW, you see no reason to do anything as..."
We need front page articles. And we need me and grav to write them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord