View Single Post

Posted 2008-08-09, 05:46 PM in reply to hovind's post starting "If u look up "human evolution" on..."
To address your question first:

Quote:
is there a list of rules or something

Yes.

-----

Go on, use the watch-in-the-desert analogy, this thread is crying out for it!

---

Evolution is not something that happens instantly from generation to generation. A monkey did not give birth to a fella with a top hat, suit and briefcase and man was born, ho no. Evolution happens on a genetic level, through tiny mutations in the genes that offspring inherit. Natural selection and "survival of the fittest" also plays its part - if the change in the organism caused by the mutated gene(s) is not right, that organism more often than not doesn't survive.

Take the peppered moth. The vast majority of peppered moths are white, or have light colouring. During the English Industrial revolution, the light coloured lichens on the trees that the moths rested on died out, and the trees became blackened by soot, leading to many of the moths dying out. A random mutation in the gene that controls the colouring of the moths leads to some moths being born black, or with dark colouring. When the lichen thrived, they died out due to predation, and the population of dark peppered moths was very low. When the lichens went, however, the white peppered moths were the ones who started to die out due to predation, and the black variation thrived. These days, with pollution levels being lower than they were a hundred years ago, the white moth is becoming more popular.

That is a form of evolution. Tell me, did your God step in an change the colouring of the moths with his magic finger?

---

And to address some of your other points:

Quote:
I understand plenty of evilution. Having things change from something they are not. Just tell me the last time that one thing was seen giving birth to something totally different. Show me once when a dog changed into a platypus and I'll believe you.

You obviously don't. A dog giving birth to a platypus is not evolution. Try again.

---

Quote:
Also, EVILoution leads to lawlessness and genocide. If only the strong are supposed to survive, why don't we just kill of all the weak ones? Your THEORY is EVIL so I'm going to call it eviloution.
I'm sorry, evolution leads to lawlessness and genocide? The Jews have been hunted for nearly two thousand years because of political and religious actions. Hitler didn't want to exterminate an entire race because of evolution. The Tutsi population in Rwanda was not massacred in 1994 by the Hutu population because of evolution - the two communities were at political odds, stretching back hundreds of years. The genocide carried out by Serb forces in Srebrenica in 1995 was for cultural reasons.

Explain to me, without ambiguities, how evolution leads to lawlessness and genocide.

---

Quote:
Scientific evidence is nothing compared to biblical evidence and the glory of God.
Evidence is used to determine or demonstrate the truth of an assertion. Show me your evidence for Creation, and I'll show you the evidence from the Scientific world for evolution.

---

Quote:
If u look up "human evolution" on wikipedia or any biology textbook you will see a bunch of trees showing how humans came from monkeys, apes, gorillas, etc.
From Wikipedia, the Human Evolution article:

Dayumm! Those monkeys sure were randy buggers.

---

Quote:
That may be PART OF the theory of evilution. What about macroevolution? What about the stuff that says that one animal can give birth to a totally different type of animal?
I'm sorry, have you been snorting something? Show me.

---

Quote:
Then why do so many textbooks show evilution as one species changing into another? Why does it always say that humans came from apes?
Again, show me.

---

Quote:
What about people like Darwin's own cousin who tried to use his theory to promote eugenics?
I'm impressed - you've provided an actual fact.

Sir Francis Galton, a cousin of Charles Darwin, drew from Darwin's early work to formulate the modern field of eugenics. It can be described as:

A social philosophy which advocates the improvement of human hereditary traits through various forms of intervention.

Evolution, on the other hand, is:

The process of change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms from one generation to the next.

To use evolution to promote eugenics is foolish. Evolution is a natural process which involves gene mutations, and natural selection. Eugenics is designing a human based on what you want. Evolution would not lead to a tiger with bright pink skin and sky blue dots, but eugenics would lead to its creation.

---

Quote:
How can God make the world in seven days and evilution be right? The scientists say it took millions and millions of years? The Bible is the inerrant word of God. It can't be right and evolution be right.

OK then, tell me, how old is the earth?

---

Quote:
Isn't that what the theory of evolution says? Doesn't it say that we were once mud, and then lightning struck the ground and we became these living cells and then the cells just decided to stop being cells and they became more complicated organisms and then they became human?

I ought to record this and play it whenever you claim things: "Show me."

---

Quote:
Hitler was a atheist. And the wrong-doing of a few people doesn't mean that the whole religion should be held accountable.

Hitler was by no means the first to try to wipe out the Jews.

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_antisemitism

Hitler was one of the more recent persecutors in a long line of persecutors, stretching back to the Egyptians - the Jews have enjoyed around 4000-5000 years.

As to whether Hitler was religious or not, it's a matter of debate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_H...igious_beliefs. His hatred for Jews came from more personal experiences rather than religious ones, though.

-----

I miss MJ.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-08-09 at 05:49 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny