View Single Post

Posted 2006-12-26, 08:12 AM in reply to Dubby's post starting "That's what happens in nature. ..."
To say over half of the posters here seem to be in favour of Abortion, I doubt you'll find many who agree with "snipping out the bad parts of people's DNA".

I do believe it's illegal in Britain, but not in America - 'tailor-made' babies. You have your eggs screened for certain signs that indicate whether the child will be male or female. And if you want a female child, one of the relevant eggs is used, ditto for if you want a male child. That's the main thing they do... but some clinics also offer the option, for an exorbitant amount of money, to have your eggs screened for signs of genetic diseases. Should an egg show a sign of a genetic disease, then they either destroy the egg or cut out the bad DNA (I don't know enough of the process to say for sure).

Thinking about it, I've probably just described, in basic terms, eugenics... but, still, I think it's wrong. A lot of people think it's wrong, in fact. And then they associate it with things like stem cell research, simply because both play around with gametes and embryos. In essence, bad feelings towards eugenics is giving stem cell research a bad name. A totally uncalled for bad name.

It also conveys the feeling that people with disabilities, or with genetic diseases, are inferior to other people - hence the trying to remove the chance of people being born into society with disabilities or genetic diseases. Don't forget that a sizeable chunk of the world was put through a more crude version of this by Hitler. It doesn't matter that it was over 60 years ago. A lot of people just think of the Holocaust, but Hitler also had people with disabilities and genetic diseases rounded up and murdered, simply because he didn't want them in his "perfect society".

I think that I'm just doomsaying here, so I'll just stop.

It may be an American attitude to things that means a lot of you might agree with abortion, or eugenics, but to me both are wrong. I'm in no way religious, but I do have some morals. How both can be thought of as justified is completely beyond me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny