View Single Post

Schwarzenegger open to debate legalizing pot
Posted 2009-05-06, 09:29 AM

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger says he is open to debate the legalization of marijuana for recreational use in California, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

His remarks come as a San Francisco lawmaker has introduced a bill to regulate marijuana like alcohol, with people over 21 years old allowed to grow, buy, sell and possess cannabis, the newspaper says.

An analysis by the State Board of Equalization says the proposal to impose a $50-an-ounce levy on sales of marijuana would boost state revenues by about $1.3 billion a year.

Schwarzenegger, in responding to a reporter's question, says it is not time to allow the state to regulate and tax pot, but adds, "I think it's time for debate. I think all of those ideas of creating extra revenues -- I'm always for an open debate on it."

In 1996, California voters legalized marijuana for medical use with permission from a physician, although this still violates federal law

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy