View Single Post

Posted 2003-06-23, 01:56 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
No, it's not what it used to be anymore. Video games were, at one point, shunned by the "popular masses" and considered a fad, fit only for nerds and children. Now, with the advent of games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Grand Theft Auto, video games in general have become "cool". People apparently freak out about a game with a bland graphics engine and lackluster plot as long as you can kill a hooker or listen to shitty 80's pop in a stolen car.

The fact is, video games in general have become popular. Good games (read: Nintendo Games) are considered kid's fare because the console they support doesn't double as a low end DVD player. Nintendo, in all honesty, put's worlds more attention and effort into creating a brilliant experience than Sony or Microsoft are interested in. Sony and Microsoft are more concerned with flash than substance.

That's why the video game industry is not at all like it once was. Games like Super Mario Sunshine and Animal Crossing get nowhere near the level of respect they deserve, because your average pundit doesn't take the time to pay attention to the intricacies of the game. They want to kill hookers now, and if any original plot or inventive mechanics should get in the way of accomplishing that goal, the game is deemed "kid's fare".

I agree with you wholeheartedly, GC. I am thoroughly disgusted with the current state of affairs in the video game industry. When a pile of smoldering crap like FFX outsells a work of art like Eternal Darkness, I can only weep for the future. Nintendo is the only real shining beacon in an ocean of disappointment.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel