Thread: Death Penalty
View Single Post

Posted 2007-11-09, 05:29 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Well, there are different cases. If..."
Vollstrecker said:
Well, there are different cases.

If they're in solitary confinement, they're a danger to themselves (sometimes), but definitely others. Someone who is such a danger is 100% wasting society's resources by keeping them away from us. These persons are typically not able to be rehabilitated (no honest statistics to back this statement up, it was something I read long ago).
I think that a human life, no matter how depraved, is at least worthy of mere existence. If a marginal fraction of society's resources need to go towards his continued existence, I think it's a cost that's more than justified.

Also, I think the evidence suggests a different motive for the death penalty. I think it's a facade that the death penalty is in place to protect society. There is no evidence that I have seen that the death penalty acts as a deterrent, or that there are lower rates of murder in states that have imposed a death penalty.

Furthermore, we don't kill people for protection. We kill people so we feel that we have the right to pass moral judgment on them. For instance, he who is declared mentally insane, with no hope of rehabilitation, is allowed to live, albeit in a mental facility. He has no hope, as far as we know, to be rehabilitated. He is more of a danger to society on the outside than a mentally competent person who let his emotions get the better of him. Yet he's kept alive.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes