Thread: [PS3] Black Ops Clips
View Single Post

Posted 2011-01-28, 04:34 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Horrible clip... Great game though."
I believe after playing MW2 and having played Black Ops at a friends house I'm adopting a new policy in regards to FPS games: Dedicated servers or GTFO. I don't think it's too unreasonable seeing the plethora of connection issues that plagues these types of games. I'd say on average the host migrates during a game 2-3 times, and sometimes just drops the game altogether - not to mention the horrendous latency between 100-200 ms which is kind of a big deal when you're playing a game where 50 ms can easily make a difference between two evenly matched players.

And just to be clear, when I say dedicated servers I don't mean only servers where players host. I want a set of servers ran by the developers that hosts matchmade games. Seeing the huge profits they are making with the pathetic support they provide for the game after release, I don't think this will be too costly for them. For those of you who've ever played a game with real support after release, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I also recall in 2001/2002 Ghost Recon had dedicated servers on Xbox (of the player hosted type). People seem to think that this would be a waste of time and no one would host servers, but this could not be further from the truth. I recall there were actually a lot of people that would host autonomous servers when the went to work/sleep. Sure, it costs more for a good connection and it inevitably decreases the lifetime of their hardware to have it on 24/7, but sometimes people are motivated by something other than just money. Just sometimes.

I'll end on this note: If you played MW2 more than ten minutes and you actually bought Black Ops, you're a chump.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM