View Single Post

Fail Tech Support
Posted 2011-09-05, 06:50 AM
I'd like to share some on-going emails between me and my webhost's fail tech support. It drove me to the point that I started laughing uncontrollably because this tech support is such a fail.

Goodlookinguy said:
I've been trying to run a process in the background. It's a java app that's automatically allocating 256MB of RAM when it starts. It runs and appears to have no issues and doesn't seem to be the cause of any CPU throttling. Now, it runs for around 2-3 hours before it suddenly gets killed by the server. Is this problem being caused by it using too much memory, is there a maximum execution time on processes, or something else?
Jeremy said:
Hello Nicholas,
Thank you for contacting support.

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you are having. What is the name of the process you are trying to run? We would like to look into the situation.

Thank you,
Jeremy
Level I Tech Support Engineer
Goodlookinguy said:
I am running the process ~/bin/jre1.6.0_27/bin/java

With parameters, -Xmx256M -Xms256M -jar ~/mcs/mcs.jar nogui

I was wanting to run the process while not connected through Secure Shell and didn't want it to run at a high priority. So I ran this line in total.

nohup nice ~/bin/jre1.6.0_27/bin/java -Xmx256M -Xms256M -jar ~/mcs/mcs.jar &

Assuming that the command nice, by default, would have a parameter of 10.

I should mention, I also ran the command using 1024MB of memory and 512MB of memory as well. All acted the same way and ended suddenly in the same time span. So, "-Xmx1024M -Xms1024M" for 1024MB and "-Xmx512M -Xms512M" for 512MB. If that helps at all.
Joshua said:
Dear Customer,

Java cannot be executed on our servers it will have to be executed on your computer. This could be a result of that.

Thank you,
Joshua
Level I Tech Support Engineer
Goodlookinguy said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Can't be executed as in a ToS violation
or can't be executed like, you think it can't? I had the program running for 2-3 hours without any problems. Then it suddenly got killed by the server.

I unpacked the latest linux binary executable for java into my bin folder. It works, it just gets killed after around 2-3 hour mark.
Tom said:
Hello,
It cannot be executed as in Java is not installed on the server. We run on Linux Apache servers, and Java is not supported here. Therefore filenames with "*.js" extensions cannot be executed, simply because Apache cannot interpret that.

You can only run JavaScript if it is embedded in the actual page script, for example:

<script type="text/javascript"> var fadeimages=new Array() ...... }
this.rotateimage()
}
</script>

This above will be interpreted by the browser, and then displayed.

Be advised we do not have Windows servers, and that ASP is not supported also.

Thank you,

Tom
Level II Tech Support Engineer
Goodlookinguy said:
I feel like I'm talking to tech support who know less about the linux
operating machine and the web than me.

Let me first separate this new confusion that was made ( or maybe has been the cause of the confusion in the first place )
Java = A product by Oracle, previously owned by Sun, that runs virtual byte codes from .jar files
JavaScript = A client-side scripting language used on web pages interpreted through browsers

They are not the same thing. Now that that's out of way.

Let me re-state what the problem is.

1) I am running a linux binary executable. The file is called java. It is located in "***********/bin/jre1.6.0_27/bin"
2) When running this file, it takes the parameters of Xmx ( Set Maximum Heap Size ), Xms ( Set Minimum Heap Size ), and jar ( The file location )
3) java then runs as a background process on the server and automatically allocates the set amount memory.
4) I have run it and seen no CPU throttling during it's runtime and yet after 2-3 hours, the process is killed by the server.

Okay, my question is in regard to why it's getting killed after 2-3 hours of running. That's the information I'm looking for.

- Nicholas Grant

Thoughts anyone?

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2011-09-05 at 08:19 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy