View Single Post

Happy 4th anniversary!
Posted 2006-01-14, 08:52 PM
That's right guys and gals, Zelaron was registered on the 14th of January back in 2002, so we just passed the 4 year mark!

We've outlived lots of hardships, including numerous DDoS attacks, getting kicked off the servers of web hosts (one of which removed us from their services when we had 131 users online at one particular time; our new record is 540), database errors, legal threats, rumors that we leaked the Doom 3 alpha supposedly aggravating John Carmack and so many more things which I don't recall right now.

I apologize for not posting this announcement a little earlier today, but I'm really happy and slightly amazed that we're still around after so many years. One of the initial reasons why I started Zelaron was because I wanted to see a forum that wouldn't just disappear from the reach of its dedicated members. So many other forums and communities I actively took part in prior to 2002 would permanently disappear for monetary or personal reasons of the owners/staff. One very large forum I really liked at the time got hacked, and had not done a single database backup for almost a whole year. It wasn't the first time it had happened to that community, either.

So yeah, here we are, four years later; still with a lot of active, creative users who have been around since the first year, and so many wonderful newcomers who have already out-posted me in only a third of the time it took me to get my 7600-something post count. No, I didn't cheat by stacking a horde of posts in the trashcan, promise.

I hope you all have enjoyed the ride so far.

A toast to our future 5th anniversary!

Edit: This totally brings back old memories.
http://www.zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6405
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2006-01-14 at 09:02 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser