Thread: 2012
View Single Post

Posted 2008-02-02, 12:20 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I agree. You answered this."
Atnas said:
You answered this.
Superiority is not synonymous with intelligence or creativity.

Quote:
We are animals physically, but mentally we are much more than that.
We are mentally animals as well. We just have a greater mental capacity than the others. A giraffe is the tallest animal in the world. That does not mean that it is mentally an animal, but height-wise "much more than that." And as an aside, there is a very minute difference between our brain and that of our close primate cousins.

Quote:
making us the masters of our world.
But we are not masters of our world. We can not control, for instance, the weather. You can have an influence, but not control the population of insects in your house. We can't make it to the depths of sea, much less control that ecosystem. Hell, we're not even in control of our bodies. You depend on a symbiotic relationship with other organisms to exist. You depend on chemical transmitters that you have no conscious control of to control the autonomous functions of your body. Your genetic code is easily changed by viruses. Your body's functions are easily influenced by other pathogens. We are in control of some things. 99% of the rest of the world we are not.

Quote:
I have never seen a cat play an adapted violin and understand music theory.
I have never seen a human jump three times its own height. We are more intelligent. Superior? I don't think so.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes