View Single Post

Posted 2009-04-22, 07:56 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I added the thread to the front page...."
Chruser said: [Goto]
I added the thread to the front page. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the radial velocity detection technique doesn't give enough data about an exoplanet for one to determine its surface gravity. Its lowest mass is approximately 7.09 M⊕[3] (Earth masses). Assuming its mean density to be that of Mars (approximately 3934 kg/m³, while Earth's mean density is approximately 5519 kg/m³), then its surface gravity is approximately

So with a reasonably low estimate for the density of Gliese 581 d and the current lowest estimate for its mass, its gravitational field will still make everything 54% "heavier" than on Earth. While health effects of long-term exposure to high gravity are not known, it will be more difficult to perform most kinds of work.

Now, if its actual mass turns out to be that of the highest estimate (22 M⊕) and its mean density is that of Earth (one of the most dense terrestrial planets in our solar system), its surface gravity becomes That is equivalent to 281% of Earth's surface gravity, or roughly the total acceleration subjected to the crew of the space shuttle-carrying rocket during launch[2].

Hushahaw-haw-haw what~?
This is what I get for leaving the "talk like a retard thread" ain't it? I'm so lost...
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai