Thread: Aliens
View Single Post

Posted 2010-03-29, 12:22 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I never said I think it did happen. I..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
Theory = something that's more likely than a hypothesis, but it has yet to be 100% proven as fact. From what I know. For example, the Big Bang Theory... is a Hypothesis. Not a Theory.(fact) LOL!
Colloquially, you are correct. However, in the scientific context that is not what a theory is. When talking about a scientific theory, the word "theory" does not insinuate any particular degree of uncertainty. Rather, a scientific theory is a group of propositions used to explain facts observed in nature. Whether or not it is accurate is ascertained by putting the theory to the test.
For instance, the big bang theory is not some gratuitous guess. It is the best model we have to explain the origin and subsequent evolution of our universe. It makes predictions, which can be tested. The overwhelming consensus from experts in the field is that the big bang theory has withstood the tests.

Here are some other examples of theories: the theory of gravity, the theory of evolution, atomic theory, the germ theory of disease, and the theory of limits. Would you relegate these to somewhere between guess and fact? I hope not, as the theory of gravity (probably the most uncertain of the theories presented above) explains the fact of gravity, the theory of evolution explains the fact of evolution, the atomic theory explains many properties of matter, the germ theory of disease is vital in medicine, and the theory of limits is the basis of calculus.

Quote:
I never said I think it did happen. I think it's possible. Humans make mistakes. One little miscalculation and - what should the number 9000.1 is accidently the number 3
Big gap. One mistake.
I think if one is intellectually honest, one has to admit to the possibility of mistakes. That said, the fact that our theories make predictions which match reality to a frightening degree implies that there is at least some level of truth to them. Would you agree with this?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes