View Single Post

Posted 2015-03-09, 11:44 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "You have experimental evidence to stand..."
D3V said: [Goto]
The question itself, is loaded, contextually different from who asks it and unfair to claim if you can't answer the question you are an athiest.
This is a fair criticism. However, I can't see myself answering yes to that question under any context. What context would your answer to that question be yes?

Quote:
I understand the definition, I understand the difference between theism and atheism; However, implying that it has to applied or you are either one or the other is false. It's not a black and white issue, it's a belief system. It's completely philosophical to one on how they individually decide to view the two sides.
I understand that beliefs about morality, the universe, and everything else that religion encompasses vary widely, as does the degree with which people are committed to those beliefs. However, whether or not you believe in God (once context is established to address your above point) seems to have a dichotomous answer set. "I don't know," doesn't answer the question, because the question isn't about what you know, it's about what you believe. Therefore, unless you can truthfully answer that question with a "yes," you're not a believer. I know this sounds redundant, and I'm not saying this to sound sarcastic or condescending, but a believer is someone who believes in some concept or idea. If you do not believe in said concept or idea, you're not a believer in that concept or idea. You're not rejecting the concept or idea, you're simply not accepting the concept or idea. And if you're not a believer, then by definition you are a non-believer. And when said idea or concept is God (again, with proper concept), the non-believer is typically termed atheist. Not an anti-believer, but a non-believer. It's not a vote for the antithesis to the God concept, it's abstinence from the vote.

Quote:
I choose not to definite myself as atheist or theist because I feel 50/50 on the issue.
Therefore, based on my above paragraph, you do not believe in the God concept, because by definition someone who is 50/50 on the veracity of a concept does not believe in that concept. To believe that a concept is true you must be at least 51/49 in favor of it given integer percentages. You have failed to reach that mark. Since you are not a believer in the God-concept, you are a non-believer in the God concept. Since the term for a non-believer in the God-concept is atheist, that makes you an atheist. Not someone who believes in a naturalistic version of creation, not someone who believes in evolution or the big bang, or anything else. It simply makes you a non-believer in the God concept.

Quote:
Which would make it irrelevant to call myself an Agnostic Atheist or Agnostic Theist. I'm just agnostic. I don't identify with a belief system.
You are certainly agnostic since you're not 100/0% or 0/100%, but you're an agnostic non-believer based on what you wrote above. I am aware that what you wrote below negates what I've said above regarding you in particular, but nevertheless it's true in general.

Quote:
But since you guys are obsessed with having to identify more than 50/50 because God forbid something isn't stereotyped - I would claim Theism over Atheism for the sheer fact of how little we know, might not ever know and will never know.
I once again implore you to address the Russell's teapot argument that I hinted at above. It really is a nice little thought-experiment. It gets rid of all the baggage associated with real-world issues, and forces you to confront the logic of your argument directly. If you can answer my previous post regarding the teapot, I think it would clarify your position significantly.

Quote:
I feel the debate slows down progress of the human race creating false divides that are unnecessary and could hamper, if even for a spec of time in the grand scheme of our existence.
Yes! As do the mindless inter-religion and intra-religion theological debates that are far more commonplace.

Quote:
I would argue that it's a paradox as mathematics is and we are incapable of understanding.
The only reason mathematics seems paradoxical is because we know it to be a creation of the human mind, yet is has proven itself to also describe the universe. If God could prove himself to apply to the universe just as blatantly, then I would buy your analogy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes