View Single Post

Posted 2010-09-26, 09:55 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "LRNJ does have a mode that teaches..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
LRNJ does have a mode that teaches readings.
I never found it. Plus I don't care since it's not quite the same as my program. As I stated before, it was the basis, but my program is different on it's own standings. Otherwise I wouldn't have made it.

Also, my program has has lists for katakana and hiragana for starters, as with a tester I just had minutes ago. In 40-minutes he had the Vowels, K, S, and T character sets down from katakana. Tomorrow I will test them again, see how much they remembered. Then they will continue using the program for 20-60 minutes for the next 7-days. By the end of that, I expect them to have the katakana syllabary completely down.

It also has a mode that teaches touch typing with a Japanese keyboard layout.
That's kinda useless. Nothing wrong with the English keyboard layout using Japanese keyboard settings. That's what I've been doing for years.

For Japanese at least, Rosetta Stone is awful. Among other problems, the way it phrases sentences is unlike what you will usually actually use/hear.
Yes, I grabbed it myself because I saw this commercial and started laughing when the person talking didn't fully understand when it's proper/improper to use such a phrase as "o genki desu ka". That system doesn't properly teach the way you the way particles should be used and seemed to just try to throw someone with no knowledge a load of shit. The words that were taught, fine. The sentences and structure of those sentences, no, just, no.

I doubt any person who's only used rosetta stone can break down a sentence as simple and straightforward as these two. Which I will show an easy, Japanese to English breakdown of it. Because it really is, straightforward.

Breakdown 1
その人はどこに行きませんでした。
sono hito wa doko ni ikimasen deshita.

[sono hito wa]
As for that person

[doko ni ikimasen deshita]
where didn't go

That person never went anywhere.

Or, a little bit more difficult, but nothing even close to hard. And really, still straightforward.

Breakdown 2
僕の姉ちゃんは雨の好きです。でも 小雨が僕の一番。
boku no neechan wa ame no suki desu. demo, kosame ga boku no ichiban desu.

[boku no neechan wa]
As for my sister

[ame no suki desu]
likes rain

[demo, kosame ga]
but, a drizzle

[boku no ichiban desu]
my favorite | my #1

My sister likes the rain, but my favorite is a light rain.

So, yeah, hmm...a recommended learning tool specifically for Japanese would be a product someone had told me about called Human Japanese. I acquired it myself through not the most legal means, but approve. It is much better than rosetta stone ever will be for Japanese.

Anyways, huzzah! I'll report back later. I've got work to do.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy