View Single Post

Posted 2008-08-23, 01:09 PM in reply to kyeruu's post "Butterfly effect."
I don't know a ton about the Butterfly Effect, myself, but from what I understand, it assumes that time is a linear thing.

I tend to believe that time is much different than that. I would imagine it as more of a "multiverse" sort of thing, where everything keeps branching off. Every time you make a decision, you choose which path you're going down, but the other path is still there and still happens, you just aren't on it to experience (or at least, the version of you that you currently are.)

I don't claim to know that for sure, of course, but personal experience and time spent thinking about it tells me that that's the most logical explaination I can come up with.

Anyway, what that means is that, in my opinion, the Butterfly Effect is invalid. If time actually is linear, then the Butterfly Effect applies, but otherwise, it doesn't reapply apply to anything.

Then again, I suppose that if time works how I think it does, the Butterfly Effect might make even more sense. My brain isn't in philosophy/theoretical science mode right now, so I'll return to this once I've done some research on the Butterfly Effect and I've gathered my thoughts a bit better.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2008-08-23 at 01:12 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!