Thread: Gun laws?
View Single Post

Posted 2008-04-23, 09:21 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Yet many people have them for precisely..."
Mjordan2nd said:
Yet many people have them for precisely that reason.

And you too are subject to everyday human emotion. Sure, everyone likes to think they are above average. Everyone likes to think they are more in control of themselves and their emotions than the common man. Truth is, everyone is subject to the rage inherent in humans. Guns are a medium for expressing this rage in a fatal way.

I understand that you like your gun for sport. However, is it necessary to issue concealed handgun licenses for you to enjoy your sport? Is it necessary for you to keep your gun at home to enjoy your sport? Would it not be as much fun if your gun were kept at a less accessible place, such as a shooting range?

Furthermore, if basketball was the cause of 10,000 homicides per year, I would be all for illegalizing it. My main goal is preservation of human life. I think it is a worthy goal. I think it is a goal that the government should strive for. Personal liberty is great. However, when your tool endangers other's right to life, your liberty to posses that tool should be secondary.
Yes but think of recent laws. One says that should you assualt anyone with any tool it counts as assualt with a deadly weapon. I know a lot of guns are made for ending life why else would you want a rifle that spits out some 200 rounds a second? But a weapon is anything that someone uses to enhance the damage done to their target. Meaning a hammer (which could be used to end life just as easy) could be labelled as such. I agree that some guns are a little ridiculous to give to someone who lacks the mental training and discipline of a soldier. No one needs to have the ability to tear another person into shreds at the pull of a trigger.

Of course no one will help me try to legalize dueling again

So my question is this. If you should take away people's guns would the people who get so enraged or tempted to kill another human being not resort to using other tools? Hammers? Knives? Rope? Chains? Shoes? Thus my arguement is not against guns but against the users. I think we should have laws that make people go through the needed training a soldier does to own a gun. Wouldn't that be a more effective law? I know many people would start riots over having their guns taken away. Because the constitution says they have the right to bear arms (which could mean they have the right to hang a pair of bear arms on their wall but alas no one would go with me on that one) in case their government becomes tyrannical. Of course how does a government become tyrannical when it's a democracy? Could I not then go and buy a gun and declare war on our government because they do things that I am against. Because by the end of the day when someone forces you to do something you don't want to do it's technically oppression. You can see where I would go with this. The never ending reasons as to why it would be less effective then just mentally conditioning people.

You would have less oppostion towards it. Then doing something that goes against the constitution.

EDIT: Thanks for the re-welcome. I actually forgot my password and username for the last few days lol.
skurai said: [Goto]
big Foot -
A Big Monkey. So?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
hotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

hotdog