View Single Post

Technology was Religion's Bitch
Posted 2008-04-07, 06:32 AM
It's my opinion that for centuries, Science and Technology were Religion's bitch - more specifically, the bitch of Christianity, for Islam around and before the Crusades welcomed S&T with open arms.

The Christian religion purposefully stunted the growth of Science and Technology, denouncing it as Satanic, or wrong, feeding the population with those that it liked - the works of Claudius Galen were taught as truth for over a thousand years, until men such as Harvey and Vesalius proved them wrong during the Rennaissance.

My question to the masses is this - why? What possible reason did the Christians have for refusing Science and Technology? What did they gain from it? Why could the Muslims accept it and indeed improve upon the Roman and Greek ideas they adopted, yet the Christians not?

And for those who diagree with me - why? How did Christianity not stop the expansion of S&T, but rather feed it?

Edited by Lendawg 
And they may possibly be a third viewpoint - Technology is still Religion's bitch. Why? What proof is there of that? What are the reasons for it? Same as before the Rennaissance? Different?

Discuss.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-04-07 at 06:37 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny