Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Life Discussion (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=322)
-   -   Odd text message... (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48476)

Jessifer 2009-03-08 10:17 AM

Odd text message...

I got a text message today that said "Your Kalamazoo County State Bank has been suspended as a result of a fraud attempt. Contact us immediately at 8002922715". I don't have a bank account with them, nor do I even think that that bank actually exists (County State, what? lolz). My dad also got a similar text about a bank we've never heard.

Also, that phone number doesn't exist. My dad called it.

Both of our phones are through Sprint.

Chruser 2009-03-08 10:44 AM

"Doesn't exist"? I'm sure your father will enjoy his phone bill.

Asamin 2009-03-08 11:17 AM

Haha! people do weird stuff for money.

KagomJack 2009-03-08 11:53 AM

That's what I was thinking. :o

Goodlookinguy 2009-03-08 12:59 PM

"Police in Southwest Michigan are warning people about a new phone scam. State police out of the Paw Paw post say that they've received complaints about someone calling residents in Van Buren and Kalamazoo Counties with automated messages, supposedly from the Kalamazoo County State Bank." - http://thinkdodone.typepad.com/ccd/2...-robocall.html

I bet this is related. However, it's not exactly the same and it's from August '08.

Oh, and this is information on that from the bank themselves.

"As of February 5, 2009 we have become aware that fraudulent automated phone calls and text messages are claiming to represent Kalamazoo County State Bank, asking for your card and PIN numbers. THIS IS A SCAM, DO NOT RESPOND TO THESE CALLS OR TEXT MESSAGES. If you have given out your card and PIN numbers, please call 1-800-523-4175 and close your card immediately.
Please call us during banking hours at 269-679-5291 to have your card reissued. As always we will never contact you by any means (email, phone, text message etc.) and ask for your card and PIN number.
Kalamazoo County State Bank" - Kalamazoo County State Bank

Jessifer 2009-03-08 08:24 PM

lulz. People are retards.

I actually got two more of the texts over the day, each from a different number. Good thing my bank is Chase and not KCSB, and my dad is through 5/3rd. This is actually the first I've heard of this scam, too.

PureRebel 2009-03-08 09:35 PM

if its from a different number each time i'd say it could be from someone with a government job or access to their phonelines. when i worked department of housing we'd send out automated texts messages through computers and it just popped up with a random phone number that we either created or it was someone elses.

D3V 2009-03-09 01:27 PM

L2SNOPES.com

Asamin 2009-03-09 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureRebel (Post 667761)
if its from a different number each time i'd say it could be from someone with a government job or access to their phonelines. when i worked department of housing we'd send out automated texts messages through computers and it just popped up with a random phone number that we either created or it was someone elses.

Or it is more than one person who is doing the scam.... That could make sense too.

Draco2003 2009-03-10 11:49 PM

That's why I regard ANYTHING relating to Kalamazoo as a fraud... because it's fictional... just like jews and unicorns...
Also, that's why I never answer my phone when an unknown number calls... because if you do, the bastards on the other end know they got a live one! They always say, "Call here to opt out and lah-dee-dah-dee-dah..." but really, they just add you to 1000000000's more lists... So I let it ring... and ring... and ring... and ring... and sure enough, I have only recieved maybe 13 calls since I got my phone in September...

Goodlookinguy 2009-03-11 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draco2003 (Post 667897)
because it's fictional... just like jews and unicorns...

You wanted someone to respond to this, I just know it.

Jessifer 2009-03-11 09:35 AM

Yes, Kalamazoo does not exist. Nor do the other two Kalamazoo's in the US.

Draco2003 2009-03-11 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodlookinguy (Post 667902)
You wanted someone to respond to this, I just know it.

Well a response wasn't necessary, because it's a thing I say in real life when I describe something imaginary... and it usually recieves a chuckle... Most likely because there is a great deal of thought that goes into that simple statement.