Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   1984: George Orwell (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44084)

D3V 2007-12-05 09:33 AM

1984: George Orwell

I've heard many many opinions about this book from family members and a select few friends that have actually gotten around to reading this book first hand. Now, I myself have never gotten around to reading this book, I have definately considered tackling it one of these weekends, maybe even this weekend if things shapen up around here.

My point of the thread is, what did you guys think of the book? I'd love a bit more insight to the storyline and purpose of this book before I pick it up so that I can compare and contrast afterwards and have something to look back on.

Discuss.

Lenny 2007-12-05 09:48 AM

I rather liked it. There's a bit in the middle, about ten pages, that's pure drivel though.

The plot is good, it's well written, and it really makes you think.

Vault Dweller 2007-12-05 12:31 PM

Absolutely a classic. Brilliant representation of a dystopian society. I highly recommend it.

D3V 2007-12-05 12:40 PM

Thanks fellas, the vibe I get from the book is that you 'just have to read it to fully get the conception of it'.. which is my plan :)

Demosthenes 2007-12-05 01:17 PM

This was probably my favorite book that they forced us to read in high school.

I'm sure you already know the plot of the book: tyrannical government has managed to take away all forms of personal liberty, and has brainwashed people into basically not questioning the government and loving it at the same time. The book is basically about someone who actually sees through it when nobody else can, and his attempt at trying to regain his humanity.

D3V 2007-12-05 01:20 PM

That's such an awesome concept, and when you think about our current situation our country honestly isn't that different. I'm seeing if there's a legal way to print out a free copy of the book, and if not i'll just go grab a copy from our public library.

`Ryp` 2007-12-20 10:20 AM

A good friend of mine nagged me to no end to read it, and I must say I think it was worth it. The book has opened my eyes to so many things I've been so blind to. Now, I look at everything in such a different light.... I plan on reading another book he's nagging me to read. I think it's called "A Bright New Day" or "A Brand New Day", something like that. Also, I've found that there are several movies that I love based on this kind of premise.

flameviper 2007-12-23 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by `Ryp`
A good friend of mine nagged me to no end to read it, and I must say I think it was worth it. The book has opened my eyes to so many things I've been so blind to. Now, I look at everything in such a different light.... I plan on reading another book he's nagging me to read. I think it's called "A Bright New Day" or "A Brand New Day", something like that. Also, I've found that there are several movies that I love based on this kind of premise.

Brave New World?

`Ryp` 2007-12-23 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameviper
Brave New World?

Yeah that just might be it ^_^; *walks off feeling very stupid*

Lenny 2007-12-24 05:40 AM

This is probably like telling water to be wet, but you ought to play Half Life 2 if you like the dystopian genre. And whilst not technically dystopian, but more anti-utopian, BioShock is another good game [loosely put] in the same genre.

If you're looking more at dystopian literature, then have a nosey at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ian_literature

Some very good books on that list - I'm guessing that a few of the early 20th Century writers will be there, like Wells and Orwell.

Just had a lookee, and they've even got the seventh Harry Potter book in the list. :p

Silverjinx18 2008-01-18 05:21 PM

I always wondered why we never had a book section at zelaron.

I've never read 1984, but I'm going through and reading books that I never got to read in highschool. I just read Catcher in the Rye (not as good as I had hoped)

Anyway I would love to recommend a book called The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin. Great book!

Lenny 2008-01-19 09:33 AM

I believe we used to have a Literature Forum, but it was merged with a couple of others to form The Arts.

Is that the same Steve Martin as the actor Steve Martin?

Vault Dweller 2008-01-21 11:59 AM

Catcher didn't impress me at all when I read it in high school. They make it out to be the book that all young men are supposed to identify with. I thought Holden Caulfield was a whiny bitch. Of course, I haven't read the book in about 12 years or so, so maybe I should check it out again.

As I mentioned above, I highly recommend 1984.

Just started reading The Man in the High Castle by Phillip K. Dick (got interested after watching the Blade Runner special features). Kind of slow to start and rather confusing, but I imagine it will pick up soon once the setting and characters get fleshed out.