Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Opinion and Debate (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=332)
-   -   Friends or not (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43503)

gruesomeBODY 2007-09-29 07:46 AM

Friends or not

Last night, my drunken roommate went on a rant about how guys and girls could never just be just friends.......ever. Basically, it got me thinking about every relationship I have ever had with my girl friends. I normally would have said yes guys and girls could be just friends, but the last few weeks have been pretty eye opening to me and now i would say that no we cannot. What do you guys think?

Here is my theory about this situation. I think to become friends, you had to at least be attracted to them, whether it be by looks, personality or general character, to even start a conversation. Once the attempt to try and win them over fails, i feel like we justify the end result by saying we just want to be friends. From there, more and more we fall less interested in them and that is why in a few months time you can break away from them. If there is general interest, then you stay around until either a) you hook up or b) they hook up with somebody else and you stay around to see how things go with them.

Sorry for this little rant on my part, but i am extremely interested in seeing what you guys think. I may be alittle drunk right now, but i hope you got the general idea of what im asking. I will def be back later to add more to this because i think i have a pretty decent arrgument, but i can barely type right now.

WetWired 2007-09-29 10:12 AM

What about co-workers?

gruesomeBODY 2007-09-29 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWired
What about co-workers?

Im not friends with my coworkers. I do my job and they do theirs. Thats how it is.

Vollstrecker 2007-09-29 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gruesomeBODY
Last night, my drunken roommate went on a rant about how guys and girls could never just be just friends.......ever. Basically, it got me thinking about every relationship I have ever had with my girl friends. I normally would have said yes guys and girls could be just friends, but the last few weeks have been pretty eye opening to me and now i would say that no we cannot. What do you guys think?

Here is my theory about this situation. I think to become friends, you had to at least be attracted to them, whether it be by looks, personality or general character, to even start a conversation. Once the attempt to try and win them over fails, i feel like we justify the end result by saying we just want to be friends. From there, more and more we fall less interested in them and that is why in a few months time you can break away from them. If there is general interest, then you stay around until either a) you hook up or b) they hook up with somebody else and you stay around to see how things go with them.

Sorry for this little rant on my part, but i am extremely interested in seeing what you guys think. I may be alittle drunk right now, but i hope you got the general idea of what im asking. I will def be back later to add more to this because i think i have a pretty decent arrgument, but i can barely type right now.

All relationships that aren't family begin because of an attraction of some type, whether it be you enjoy their company for their insights, commentary, or you're hoping to get into their pants. What you would be describing might be a Platonic relationship, although it sometimes doesn't go that far.

I believe that it's highly possible to have friends of the opposite gender that you aren't romantically interested in to begin with, as I've had quite a few friends of this nature, but I've also had a few of the nature you described as well.

!King_Amazon! 2007-09-29 02:03 PM

Definitely possible.

Willkillforfood 2007-09-29 10:56 PM

Possible, but it's probably as possible or more that you think of doing them.

HandOfHeaven 2007-09-29 11:16 PM

I've met a few girls here that seem potentially harmless, but Chef's girl in Southpark seemed great and she turned out to be a succubus.

talentedhamster 2007-09-30 05:35 AM

guys and girls can be just friends. i've had this one guy friend since 4th grade. he never tried nothin, neither did i. I could never think of him that way.

HandOfHeaven 2007-09-30 08:19 AM

Wait until you get to college. It's a bit different.

!King_Amazon! 2007-09-30 10:37 AM

This isn't even worth considering, the answer is obvious.

Take, for example, a gay guy and a lesbian. A guy and a girl who can be just friends.

Lenny 2007-09-30 03:15 PM

Things would be much simpler if everyone used instant messaging to communicate.

Willkillforfood 2007-09-30 04:30 PM

a lot more unbiased, for sure.