Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   5 letter rule (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45088)

talentedhamster 2008-03-25 08:02 PM

5 letter rule

There's alot of threads now (some are: type a relavent word, rate this person's intelligence) that don't require 5 letters and the little "bullshit content" message gets kind of annoying. It's not always needed, and I really don't see a point for it in the first place. Just throwin out my opinion.

Demosthenes 2008-03-25 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talentedhamster
There's alot of threads now (some are: type a relavent word, rate this person's intelligence) that don't require 5 letters and the little "bullshit content" message gets kind of annoying. It's not always needed, and I really don't see a point for it in the first place. Just throwin out my opinion.

/signed

JRwakebord 2008-03-25 09:00 PM

If you really need, just do this at the bottom of a post that is too short:

qwertydvorak

Now you won't have any problems.

Sovereign 2008-03-25 11:36 PM

Just add fuck ww or somethign like MJ does at the end of his <5 char posts and itll be fine :p.

!King_Amazon! 2008-03-25 11:59 PM

It's pointless. If someone wants to post something less than 5 characters, they just put bullshit at the bottom of their post. While it can be slightly entertaining sometimes, it's really just pointless.

HandOfHeaven 2008-03-26 12:00 AM

Yup

fuck WW

Thanatos 2008-03-26 08:09 AM

I detest those types of threads, so I'm all for the 5 letter rule. Hell, make it a proper sentence rule.

WetWired 2008-03-26 09:34 AM

I'd love for it to be a proper sentence rule. Too bad that doing that is so complicated.

D3V 2008-03-26 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talentedhamster

agree

fuck ww

Lenny 2008-03-26 10:52 AM

I'm still for keeping it.

And my arguments for keeping it:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny
Personally, I think that what some people get away with is far too little. If it were up to me, I'd whack it up to 5 words, let alone characters.

Though I admit, it would be nice to turn it off in the WRT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almighty God, Lenny
I have relish for activity - the more there is, the more one can reply to, the more one can raise their postcount by. I sometimes have trouble getting my four posts simply because there's little to reply to.

And a simple "lol" or "I agree" tacked on to the end of a thread makes no difference.

What am I supposed to reply to that with?

"Oi! Post something with content, you great pillock!"

I might have edited before you replied, but as I said, it does nothing to further the thread and the discussions within. It's just pointless.

I feel that if we actually raise the minimum number of words/characters for a post, we might get some higher quality posts... though there's the disadvantage that the lazy arses will just leave because their usual standard of posting fais to reach the requirements.

I finish with:

If kyeruu can post a thread that goes way beyond the character requirement, and actually contains content that makes a bit of sense (admit it, he's been getting a lot better at it, recently, even though he's not got a touch on the rest of us), then why can't everyone else?

For more views, look at: http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44011

---

Once again, it looks like more people want it gone, so I'll put forward a compromise:

- Turn it off for forums such as The Chatterbox and WRT.
- Keep it on, and maybe even raise it (25 characters? 50?) for all other forums.

Turn it off in CB and WRT because they are, when stripped down, just spam forums, with the former being topical spam.

Raise it for every other forum because they're supposed to be serious, spam-free forums in which conversation is had.

EDIT: On a related note, how hard would it be to impose rules on the News Forum that stop the posting of just a link and the article in quotes? Sure, it's nice being able to read the article on Zelaron rather than an external site, but a couple of discussion points in the original post, or the original posters thoughts would also be nice. If not, then I'd suggest it be a requirement should the News Posters position be filled.

Thanatos 2008-03-26 11:52 AM

Quote:

EDIT: On a related note, how hard would it be to impose rules on the News Forum that stop the posting of just a link and the article in quotes? Sure, it's nice being able to read the article on Zelaron rather than an external site, but a couple of discussion points in the original post, or the original posters thoughts would also be nice. If not, then I'd suggest it be a requirement should the News Posters position be filled.

Yeah Adrena, you dirty hippy.

Asamin 2008-03-26 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRwakebord
If you really need, just do this at the bottom of a post that is too short:

qwertydvorak

Now you won't have any problems.

mmmmm

or you could just do that.

Atnas 2008-03-26 07:38 PM

Sometimes I just want to say "Noe." :]

talentedhamster 2008-03-26 08:21 PM

exactly!

Tyrannicide 2008-03-26 11:24 PM

Me thinks the girl is on to something ;)

But yea, all I ahve to say is COME ON, get rid of it.

talentedhamster 2008-03-27 03:22 PM

yea, the girl ain't as dumb as some of you think she is

Asamin 2008-03-27 03:28 PM

ya

fuck WW

Lenny 2008-03-27 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asamin
ya

fuck WW

Sorry to use you as an example, Asamin, but this is why I think the five letter rule should stay in place (or at least, in place in serious forums - all except the Chatterbox or WRT). Without it, people can get away with simply replying with "ya", or "lol", or "wtf". In the WRT, fine. In Chatterbox threads, fine. But on the rest of the boards? No thank you. To repeat my argument from above, a post of <5 characters does nothing to further the discussion in the thread.

I think it might have been missed first time round, so I'll put forward my alternative idea again:

- Five character limit scrapped for Chatterbox and WRT
- Limit raised to 25/50 characters in every other forum

Tyrannicide 2008-03-27 05:03 PM

Who ever said you were dumb?

And yea, Lenny, that would work the best for sure.

Grav 2008-03-27 05:05 PM

Quote:

Sorry to use you as an example, Asamin, but this is why I think the five letter rule should stay in place (or at least, in place in serious forums - all except the Chatterbox or WRT). Without it, people can get away with simply replying with "ya", or "lol", or "wtf". In the WRT, fine. In Chatterbox threads, fine. But on the rest of the boards? No thank you. To repeat my argument from above, a post of <5 characters does nothing to further the discussion in the thread.

I think it might have been missed first time round, so I'll put forward my alternative idea again:

- Five character limit scrapped for Chatterbox and WRT
- Limit raised to 25/50 characters in every other forum

I agree with the first part... maybe 15 for the other forums. Sometimes you just don't have to say a lot.