Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   Apple (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42598)

Lenny 2007-06-25 02:35 PM

Same difference. :p

What happens is:

The reactions with the NaOH and the Al forms Hydrogen gas. Since it's a fairly violent reaction, a lot of the gas is formed, quickly, which causes a closed container to explode. Warm NaOH should be a lot more violent.

Oh, water is needed, too:

2Al(s) + 2NaOH(aq) + 6H20(l) ===> 2NaAl(OH)4(aq) + 3H2(g)

Basically it happens because the strong base (Sodium Hydroxide) attacks the aluminium and reacts with it.

!King_Amazon! 2007-06-25 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny
Oh, that stuff. Well, not that stuff, but I know what it is.

Righto.

Any idea which chemical in it reacts with the aluminium? Just thinking, if you can get the chemical on its own, and heat it up before adding the aluminium balls, the reaction may be more violent and result in a bigger explosion.

EDIT: My my! !K_A! seems to be a psychic! :p

Actually, I was wrong, it's the Hydrocloric acid. I'll link a video here.

Someone suggested to put a bunch of nuts and bolts in the bottle and stick it in a mailbox, and it will blow the mailbox to pieces.

http://theubergeeks.net/2005/08/21/the-works-bomb/

Also, it's good to not crumple up the aluminum foil balls TOO much, because the more surface area that is exposed, the faster the reaction will happen.

Lenny 2007-06-25 02:39 PM

The internet says the same thing will happen with the Sodium Hydroxide. And it makes sense.

Same thing should work with HCl - the Hydrogen is there, for starters... Hydrochloric Acid + Aluminium ==> Hydrogen + Aluminium Chloride, I guess.

D3V 2007-06-25 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !King_Amazon!
Also, it's good to not crumple up the aluminum foil balls TOO much, because the more surface area that is exposed, the faster the reaction will happen.

Yes, well, some of us want to have enough time to get away from it :)

Edit: Oh, and I'm sorry I hijacked this thread and turned it into Terrorism 101.. Lmao. o_O

!King_Amazon! 2007-06-25 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V
Yes, well, some of us want to have enough time to get away from it :)

Edit: Oh, and I'm sorry I hijacked this thread and turned it into Terrorism 101.. Lmao. o_O

It's not going to happen so fast that you can't get away unless you're doing something really crazy. Get a really good bottle and don't be stupid and you're in for some fun.

I've heard Vault bottles work REALLY well.

Also, do be careful, getting caught doing this can land you up to 10 years in prison from what I've heard.

Lenny 2007-06-25 02:55 PM

10 years for carrying out a slightly modified practical that is done in the lab?

Thanatos 2007-06-25 02:58 PM

If you blow up someone's mailbox, then yeah.

Lenny 2007-06-25 03:05 PM

Heh, they won't miss it.

Anyway, what's wrong with the little holes in doors we like to call a "letterbox"?

Thanatos 2007-06-25 03:06 PM

Well when people have driveways that are miles long, that's kinda hard to do.

!King_Amazon! 2007-06-25 03:06 PM

Someone said you can crush up a bottle and put the mix in and then stick it in an old VCR and it will blow the VCR in half/into pieces.

Lenny 2007-06-25 03:07 PM

Gives the paperboy/postman exercise, they do. :)

!King_Amazon! 2007-06-25 03:08 PM

Quote:

Heh, they won't miss it.

Anyway, what's wrong with the little holes in doors we like to call a "letterbox"?

I think that would be considered borderline terrorism, lol.

Lenny 2007-06-25 03:09 PM

Nahnahnah. I meant "why bother with having a mailbox when there's little holes in people's doors through which the postman can post the letters?

!King_Amazon! 2007-06-25 03:32 PM

Quote:

Nahnahnah. I meant "why bother with having a mailbox when there's little holes in people's doors through which the postman can post the letters?

Oh. I like my interpretation of it better.

Wouldn't that be great? You're sitting around the TV with your family and something falls through the letterbox, dad goes to pick it up and it blows his fucking hand off and acid spews all over everyone. Now that's good quality family-time.

Lenny 2007-06-25 03:34 PM

Nothing brings the family closer together like a severed limb. :)

D3V 2007-06-25 03:43 PM

It's almost time for us to change out our old, weatherd mailbox, I'm thinking youtube time as we "change it out" :) Videos to come... hopefully.

!King_Amazon! 2007-06-25 04:36 PM

If you do that and video tape it, I'll do something. I don't know what, but something good. Maybe paypal you $10.

Actually, I found a video of it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hSVlw9rgIFA

Pretty cool, IMO. I like how he makes the bomb, puts it in all casually, and takes his sweet time tying up the mailbox. I thought it was going to blow up right in his face.

D3V 2007-06-25 04:41 PM

Ahhahaaha, Nice!

!King_Amazon! 2007-06-25 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3V
Ahhahaaha, Nice!

Do it with nuts and bolts and nails though, don't forget!

Lenny 2007-06-26 06:32 AM

Hot daym, now that's 'n acksent!

Nice little explosion, that was.