Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   News and Events (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=334)
-   -   Schwarzenegger open to debate legalizing pot (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48885)

Sum Yung Guy 2009-05-06 09:29 AM

Schwarzenegger open to debate legalizing pot

http://blogs.usatoday.com/.a/6a00d83...46be970b-200wi

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger says he is open to debate the legalization of marijuana for recreational use in California, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

His remarks come as a San Francisco lawmaker has introduced a bill to regulate marijuana like alcohol, with people over 21 years old allowed to grow, buy, sell and possess cannabis, the newspaper says.

An analysis by the State Board of Equalization says the proposal to impose a $50-an-ounce levy on sales of marijuana would boost state revenues by about $1.3 billion a year.

Schwarzenegger, in responding to a reporter's question, says it is not time to allow the state to regulate and tax pot, but adds, "I think it's time for debate. I think all of those ideas of creating extra revenues -- I'm always for an open debate on it."

In 1996, California voters legalized marijuana for medical use with permission from a physician, although this still violates federal law

!King_Amazon! 2009-05-06 09:31 AM

Awesome.

Sum Yung Guy 2009-05-06 09:33 AM

First thing I do when I am out of the Army is getting my pot card so I can smoke anywhere in Cali. :)

D3V 2009-05-06 09:36 AM

I love Arnie. He always gets a damn + in my book half the time he's on TV. Unless he's being persuaded to talk about GIRLY MEN. We'll see where this ends up going, I hope his office gets filled with ideas and the debate is kept at the front of the agenda.

Sum Yung Guy 2009-05-06 09:48 AM

The money they would get from taxes would boost the economy in Cali. Not to mention lower crime rates. Jail/Prison crowding would lessen from the pot dealers they wouldn't have to put away.

!King_Amazon! 2009-05-06 09:50 AM

The effects of legalization would be so drastic that were it to seriously happen somewhere, it would soon happen everywhere when everyone realizes how great of an effect it would have on the economy.

WetWired 2009-05-06 10:06 AM

That's all fine and dandy, except they can't tax it untill it's federally legal. Pretty much federal government gets a court order for the state's tax records, raids all the dealers that paid taxes. Of course if the state decriminalized, then one would assume that the senators and representatives from the state would push federal legalization.

D3V 2009-05-06 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWired (Post 671395)
That's all fine and dandy, except they can't tax it untill it's federally legal. Pretty much federal government gets a court order for the state's tax records, raids all the dealers that paid taxes. Of course if the state decriminalized, then one would assume that the senators and representatives from the state would push federal legalization.

Like K_A said, if one state does it more will follow shortly after. Denver is almost the same way, apparently. It just needs to happen soon, and quickly. They could EMPTY the jails of all the nonviolent offenders, which would also seriously be a huge drastic change.

Sum Yung Guy 2009-05-06 11:06 AM

WetWired ruins wet dreams.

!King_Amazon! 2009-05-06 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sum Yung Guy (Post 671399)
WetWired ruins wet dreams.

I could totally picture him punching little kids just to see them cry.

Jessifer 2009-05-06 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !King_Amazon! (Post 671407)
I could totally picture him punching little kids just to see them cry.

The mental image amuses me.

-Spector- 2009-05-06 11:59 AM

A computer punching kids... hm

Reminds me of something somebody said in a thread once, but I can't remember exactly.

D3V 2009-05-06 12:04 PM

BORKED

I love MPP.