Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   News and Events (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=334)
-   -   News Posters (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43549)

!King_Amazon! 2007-10-05 08:51 AM

News Posters

It was suggested that we should bring back news posters. What do you guys think about that? Let's hear some opinions.

My opinion is that we have people who already post the news quite often, so I feel it's mostly unnecessary. If anything, it would just be a pointless title. Then again, I can't think of any good reason NOT to do it.

What do you think?

D3V 2007-10-05 08:56 AM

I see it as a good option because then it Labels 2-3 members AS News Posters, that stupid little title seems to bring out the best in some members and gives them a sence of responsibility, as for News Posters that would be great, the more news flowing through these forums the better, keeping updated with the 'times' nevers hurts.

It's not like they have any power anyways.

Thanatos 2007-10-05 10:03 AM

Exactly. I'm all for it. I used to be a News Poster in the past. A couple of separate occasions, actually. I'd gladly post news on here, as I'm at work all day and I visit MSN/CNN/gaming sites rather frequently.

!King_Amazon! 2007-10-05 10:07 AM

We definitely need more gaming news around here.

WetWired 2007-10-05 12:05 PM

When we upgrade, I've implemented a new news system that will require news posters, but this time news can be posted in any forum. Speaking of which, testers are still needed...

Vollstrecker 2007-10-05 04:59 PM

Oh, lemme go find that tester link then, good thing you reminded me near the start of my shift.

-Spector- 2007-10-17 02:21 PM

Yeah I'll voulenteer to be a news poster.

And a tester..

Link me up, Scotty!

WetWired 2007-10-17 06:22 PM

http://zelaron.com/forum/test.php

Asamin 2008-03-12 03:08 PM

we should have more news around here. This is the only place i get it. My family does not get newspapers, cable tv, or any of that jazz.

Atnas 2008-03-12 03:11 PM

There are some good news sites. Not that I know any by serious usage, but http://michellemalkin.com/ has proved to be pretty good.

Adrenachrome 2008-03-12 08:14 PM

I read a fair ammount of outrageous, funny, and interesting news pretty much daily.

I'll see if I can post some regularly.

Test what?..

Demosthenes 2008-03-12 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atnas
There are some good news sites. Not that I know any by serious usage, but http://michellemalkin.com/ has proved to be pretty good.

Michelle...Malkin?

Haven't checked out that site, but I hate her almost as much as O'reilly and Nancy Grace.

!King_Amazon! 2008-03-12 10:38 PM

Yeah. At the very least, try to find a somewhat neutral news source.

Thanatos 2008-03-13 07:51 AM

FOXnews.com?

D3V 2008-03-13 09:02 AM

I usually try and stick with AP/Reuters or the occasionaly MSNBC/CNN/ABCNEWS, but other than that..iuno

KagomJack 2008-03-13 02:38 PM

I approve of that idea.

Atnas 2008-03-13 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjordan2nd
Michelle...Malkin?

Haven't checked out that site, but I hate her almost as much as O'reilly and Nancy Grace.

I never go to news sites. Possibly haven't in the past year at all. I don't know anything about her or her site but I read two articles I liked within the past week.

I have no idea what she's usually like, forgive me if she's some sort of fundamentalist/capitalist/gay basher/somethingelsenasty.

Asamin 2008-03-13 03:47 PM

I find it easier to understand the news if I can then discuss it with others instantly. With Zelaron I can

Adrenachrome 2008-03-13 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !King_Amazon!
Yeah. At the very least, try to find a somewhat neutral news source.

No such thing bro, they are all biased.

I will post the news I find interesting, you can post the news you find interesting.

Grav 2008-03-13 08:21 PM

Just please don't post FoxNews stuff. It goes beyond biased into the realm of plain 'ol lying.

Adrenachrome 2008-03-13 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grаν¡tоnЅurgе
Just please don't post FoxNews stuff. It goes beyond biased into the realm of plain 'ol lying.

You do realize that you must be able to provide evidence to back this up?

Grav 2008-03-13 08:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trWcqxrQgcc&NR=1

Adrenachrome 2008-03-13 08:35 PM

Yes I am aware of this video, do you seriously believe this doesn't happen on other networks?

Grav 2008-03-13 08:37 PM

No. But I think it happens disproportionately more on Fox.

Here's more. http://welcome-to-pottersville.blogs...ts-finest.html

What scares me the most is that you try to come off as more enlightened by the rest of us, yet seem instantly drawn to obvious propaganda.

Adrenachrome 2008-03-13 08:43 PM

Just shows that they are trying to show the right's views, while ALL others show left views.

So we have one right news tv station, and a hundred left news tv stations. I agree.

Grav 2008-03-13 08:47 PM

Right? Left? Who cares?

Do you really want "the right's" posterboy to be the most sensationalist "news" around?

Adrenachrome 2008-03-13 08:52 PM

Good point, it does seem they take it too far and help give the right a bad rep.

I don't usually frequent Fox anyway, Half the time I don't even pay attention to the publisher untill I have read the article.

!King_Amazon! 2008-03-13 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrenachrome
Good point, it does seem they take it too far and help give the right a bad rep.

I don't usually frequent Fox anyway, Half the time I don't even pay attention to the publisher untill I have read the article.

You seem like the type who would religiously listen to Rush Limbaugh.

Adrenachrome 2008-03-13 08:57 PM

Mark Levin* And this is why http://podloc.andomedia.com/dloadTra...in03052008.mp3 Give the first 15-20 minutes a listen would ya?

Rush.. Not so much

Demosthenes 2008-03-15 10:04 AM

I really don't think there is as much of a left bias in the media as people make it out to be.

Chruser 2008-03-15 10:48 AM

I'm in favor of reinstating news posters. Preferably, it would function under a particuilar system suitable for sorting content. For instance, if news posts are labeled "[Category] Title" (similarly to how threads in the RPGMaker forum look), it would be easier to display relevant content in various news categories on a future Zelaron portal.

!King_Amazon! 2008-03-15 11:25 AM

Why not just let EVERYONE post news, though? I just don't see the reason for having specific news posters.

Lenny 2008-03-15 12:54 PM

There seem to be one or two people who post more news than others, yes?

Over the past two months, the three who have posted far more news than anyone else are Adrena, Kagom and MJ.

If I were to decide, then I'd make those three News Posters... which would just mean they have a shiny new title. Big deal, right?

What if repsonsibilities come with that, though? Sort of a News Poster Mod position - people post news, and we usually just give a random title, a link, and along quote. News Posters could be left to then categorise the news (using tags as Chruser said - [WA] for World Affairs, [AM, State] for American, [TCH] for Technology, [ENT] for Entertainment news, etc). It could also fallt to them to be the main posters of news (as it was originally, I think). They obviously spend time finding news as it is, so what difference would it make if that was one of their responsibilities?

Summary:

- Flashy Title
- Categorise (edit thread titles, anything else?)
---

And a second idea that I just want to throw in the General pot, but also relates to the tag idea - how easy would it be to add new icons for posts? My thought is that, in conjunction with the tags, new icons can be made (I can do this if no-one else wants to) and added and then added to posts - WA, ENT, TCH, AM, etc. The tag letters in coloured squares like the Adobe CS3 icons, or in circles, or actual pictures relating to each category.

WetWired 2008-03-15 03:18 PM

Well, on the portal, it displays the icon of the forum it was posted in...

Lenny 2008-03-16 07:44 AM

I'm talking about the icon within each forum. Just a very quick mock-up, based on the first page of posts:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97...882/mockup.png

The categorising system could use a bit of work (I'd maybe base it on the BBC system - Business, Politics, Health, Education, Science/Nature, Technology, Entertainment - and then add a few more in, like Society, World Affairs, Americas, Europe, Opinion/Editorial), but it could be used well in conjuction with tags that might say a little more (for example, if the article his the AM[ericas] icon, then the tag might say [AM, State Name]).

Chruser 2008-03-16 07:59 AM

Looks great, Lenny! It reminds me a bit of Fark, only that they always provide external links (clicking needed). Instant news briefs on the portal (e.g. the first 500 characters being displayed when hovering over the news title; similar to how the forum works) would be ideal.

If the news feed is below 4 posts per day, it would likely be better to display 7-10 pieces of news with 1000+ characters each on the portal.

JRwakebord 2008-03-25 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atnas
I never go to news sites. Possibly haven't in the past year at all. I don't know anything about her or her site but I read two articles I liked within the past week.

I have no idea what she's usually like, forgive me if she's some sort of fundamentalist/capitalist/gay basher/somethingelsenasty.

I think "Right-wing nutjob" is appropriate.

Adrenachrome 2008-03-27 09:19 PM

I don't even know what you are talking about but I would take "Right wing nut job" over "big government liberal" any day of the week

Atnas 2008-03-29 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRwakebord
I think "Right-wing nutjob" is appropriate.

Thanks, I'll steer clear. ;)