PDA

View Full Version : Do you think you can do this quickly?

Goodlookinguy
2008-08-19, 08:43 PM
http://www.greylabyrinth.com/puzzle/puzzle084

This is the same puzzle I had to complete for my computer technologies class today. I finished this in 18-minutes. Do you think you can do it, and get it right in under 20-minutes?

Here are the top 3-times for the class

8-minutes :: I think this kid cheated by guessing
17-minutes :: Some other dude
18-minutes :: I was in third! :D

Chruser
2008-08-19, 08:46 PM
http://www.stanford.edu/~laurik/fsmbook/examples/Einstein'sPuzzle.html contains an interesting, systematic solution to it, but it's a fun puzzle. Anyone who hasn't tried it before should do so, before looking up the answer.

Those times are pretty quick.

WetWired
2008-08-19, 08:59 PM
I know I've done it before, but solving it involves a big sheet of paper an a pencil, which I don't have handy.

-Spector-
2008-08-19, 09:06 PM
I'll attempt this when I have a piece of paper and a writing utensil, but why is this in the "Introduce Yourself" forum?

Goodlookinguy
2008-08-19, 09:07 PM
I know I've done it before, but solving it involves a big sheet of paper an a pencil, which I don't have handy.

It only took me two different charts.

One that was ordered by proper house color and the other randomly ordered by nationality.

Chruser
2008-08-19, 09:16 PM
An A5 sheet, a pencil and an eraser is fine. It's not so much an intelligence test as it is a test of patience.

Goodlookinguy
2008-08-19, 09:30 PM
I read somewhere that the answer was that no one owns the fish. That it was only 2% of the population that could figure it out. People reason this because the fish is never directly put into the clues which may give the impression that it was a trick.

-Spector-
2008-08-19, 09:32 PM
I think you should put a spoiler alert around that post of yours. I have yet to do the puzzle but I'm not sure if what I just read will give me a biased result.

WetWired
2008-08-19, 10:08 PM
What he's saying isn't related to completing the puzzle. What he's saying is that outside of the question, only four animals are mentioned in the information given. It is natural to assume that that missing animal must be the fish, but some state that since the fish wasn't explicitly mentioned in the information that there is no fish.

kyeruu
2008-08-23, 12:30 AM
Im proud it took me 30mins :D